We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming with dolphins

Alhambra, California
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming with dolphins

my friend and 13yo daughter, 9yo son will be in Oahu for the first time in April. Her children would love to swim with dolphins. Can someone recommend an inexpensive place where they can actually swim with them? should she book before going or wait in case there's coupons out there?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,087 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming with dolphins

mom, you've been around long enough to know what a touchy subject this is!! There is no place that is inexpensive to swim with the dolphins!! Please do a search in the box above for the latest info and why this is such a BAD idea.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,044 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming with dolphins

Oh, mom ... this is such a popular question and UNpopular topic. You will get plenty of responses, I'm sure. Do a search on this Forum for starters.

Alhambra, California
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming with dolphins

the main reason why i've posted this is because im getting mixed information, personally we (kids and i) dont care to do this but my friend's children are set on doing this. Thanx and i'll keep searching for them.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,044 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming with dolphins

This might be a good lessons for your friend's children!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,869 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming with dolphins

Rent "The Cove", the Academy Award winner for Best Documentary Feature, for your friends, DON'T let them show it to their kids and they will understand why.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,705 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming with dolphins

I'm starting to think that elementary school science classes should teach lessons about dolphin behavior in order to prevent this kind of fantasy. The problem is that the poor children would be traumatized by The Truth About Flipper.

The truth is that male dolphins are extremely sexually aggressive. Groups of young males "kidnap" female dolphins in estrus and keep them captive for days, "gang raping" them. Male dolphins frequently kill the young dolphin pups in order to restore their mothers to estrus. One of the greatest causes for dolphin pup death is murder by their own species.

Dolphins are magnificent, intelligent, beautiful WILD ANIMALS. They are not the cute, peaceful higher beings that popular culture makes them out to be. Perhaps if more humans could accept them for what they are we would be willing to leave them in peace to pursue their own lives.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,869 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming with dolphins

>>>The truth is that male dolphins are extremely sexually aggressive. Groups of young males "kidnap" female dolphins in estrus and keep them captive for days, "gang raping" them. Male dolphins frequently kill the young dolphin pups in order to restore their mothers to estrus. <<<

Geeze, maybe we should let the Japanese eat them after all.......

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,705 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming with dolphins

Lol, Scott, I was afraid of that response. Of course, we can't judge them by human standards. Unfortunately, too many of us do imagine them in human terms. We have created this fantasy about a sweet, peace loving, spiritual creature based on the curve of a beak. That's not a smile any more than a shark's tooth display is a grin. Every time I remember that poster of leaping dolphins under the quote "And the meek shall inherit the Earth," I think, "If they only knew."

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,179 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimming with dolphins

Momwithboss....

Beyond the ethical implications, there really aren't any positive answers to the questions you posed either.

1. No boat can guarantee they will be able to find wild dolphins and also be able to swim at length with them. Note, it is also illegal for boats to approach closeby wild dolphins or chase them down so their passengers can swim with them.

And their cutsey home page copy about how sensitive they are to the doplhin needs is enough to make one puke.

2. None of the alternatives are "inexpensive". The cheapest open water trip starts at $100, and it is $185 and up to swim with them at Sea Life Park (you basically get a quick dolphin ride) and $225 and up at the Kahala Resort.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,875 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimming with dolphins

Mom...show your friend this thread...http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29217-i268-k1382886-Kayaking_and_Swimming_with_Dolphins_What_s_the_Issue-Island_of_Hawaii_Hawaii.html

One of the best and most comprehensive on the issue. It's a lot of fun to have them trailing/leading your boat when you are on the water, very exciting to watch their antics. But DARN they are big and can't imagine swimming in the midst of them!