We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling vest questions

dallas
Level Contributor
339 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
snorkeling vest questions

We are researching a vest for our aunt. She is a non-swimmer but shows interested in exploring snorkeling and stand up paddle activities with us for this coming trip to Hawaii. We are a family of 5, first trip to Hawaii and frist try on snorkeling as well. We don't have experiences regarding what type of vest would be the best choice for her. She wants to buy one for this trip. Can the typical snorkeling vest also serves her as a life vest ?Any suggestions is welcome. Thanks! -JoJo

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
869 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling vest questions

For your aunts safety and well being in the water I wouldnt want her in anything other than a full on proper life jacket.

This is not only for her safety but also for those who may have to rescue her god forbid anything happen.

I would recommend one that looks like this

marineaccessoriesplus.net/wp-content/uploads…

I would not recommend www.prodivecanada.com/Accessories/BC-20.jpg for your aunt.

Remember it is better to be safe than sorry.

This is one instance where safety is more important than how things look. Please please please full on lifejackets.

dallas
Level Contributor
339 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling vest questions

Is the life jacket inflatable? If it is not, we may need to buy it when we arrive in Oahu. Any place I can find it?

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
869 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling vest questions

Traditional life jacket. Not inflateable.

I would suggest hitting walmart for a lifejacket.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkeling vest questions

Actually, life vests are quite compact and stylish nowadays...

And come in a variety of colors and floral patterns.

Probably the best place in town to get one, with a wide selection, is the Sports Authority store on Ward Avenue, one block inland from Ala Moana Blvd and Beach Park.

Make sure it fits very snugly.

Lots of women wear them while paddleboarding.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkeling vest questions

Full on lifejackets and snorkeling really don't go hand in hand. The jackets are designed to keep your upper torso out of the water. When snorkeling you want your face in the water. I would recommend a snorkel belt. Then I would make sure I went snorkeling at a beach that has lifeguards. Snorkel belts are very popular and are available all over the island.

dallas
Level Contributor
339 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkeling vest questions

Thanks all! I think we need to look for 2 different vests for her. I found this one from 101 snorkel web. It is for snorkeling, a pink one! It would be easy to pack for the trip. This is the web link. Do you think this vest would work for her?

101snorkel.com/Medium_Adult_Zipper_Snorkelin…

We may buy her the life jacket in Oahu. We want her to feel comfortable and to enjoy the water activities with us. Thanks again!

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
869 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkeling vest questions

MsFuzz

I think you are completely out of line.

This person is NOT a swimmer.

If you cant swim you need to wear a life jacket.

This is no different than tourists venturing into areas along the water and getting washed out by rogue waves.

To selfishly put themselves at risk. What about those who have have to rescue people?

Having pulled people out of the water who had no business in the water without a life jacket, I can tell you the best thing is a life jacket.

OP please please please I beg of you think of more than your aunt.

How would you feel if she drown?

How will it affect the rest of the family, or the rescuers who had to help?

Yeah so what if she can't get her face in fully like most do while snorkeling. At the end of the day the ocean is something you don't screw around with. Respect it, protect yourselves and loved ones.

JENNIFER

San Diego...
Level Contributor
152 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkeling vest questions

Jojo, I too recommend a full life jacket. I have snorkeled for years but am a timid swimmer. I always wears a snorkel belt and still get nervous when I'm in water over my head or if the water is rough. It will be safer for the entire family with your aunt wearing a full vest.

seattle
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: snorkeling vest questions

I can swim a little but lack confidence. Any recommendations for a support that would let me float whilst looking at what is below?

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
869 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: snorkeling vest questions

Seattlesophie

LIFE JACKET