We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Happy Hours in Waikiki

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Happy Hours in Waikiki

I have been reading about the fantastic Happy hour which available at the likes of Rumfire, Yardhouse and House without a Key and wonder if children are as welcome as the adults would certainly be.

We are arriving next Tuesday with children aged 10 and 13.

It seems to me it is a cheap way to eat and get some free entertainment thrown in.

I would love to here from the experts opinion of the how welcome children are and where the best places are take them.

Thanking you in advance for any comments.

Japan
Level Contributor
244 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Happy Hours in Waikiki

I can't answer about Rumfire or Yardhouse, but the House Without a Key has what might be called "happy hour" music/hula entertainment. At sunset, while listening to the music and having a mai tai, it is one of the most picturesque and memorable spots in the world. Certainly a "must do" for Hawaii in my book. I go there every time. But, it offers no free nibbles as a "cheap way to eat". Drinks and snacks are ordered and paid for. While the prices are typical of what you pay for drinks at any 5 star hotel on Waikiki Beach, they do not come cheap either. It might not be what you are expecting in terms of a "happy hour bargain", but it is certainly a wonderful place to have a drink at sunset and enjoy the music, hula, and view. I believe I have seen teenagers there, maybe seated in the restaurant area. You might want to check out the menu and ask about children beforehand.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,912 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Happy Hours in Waikiki

This question has come up a few times in the past few weeks, so you may want to scroll down through the Oahu Forum (which includes Honolulu, etc) and read along. Amberloo, our resident Happy Hour expert, may chime in. I have seen plenty of kids at HWAK, the Banyan Court at the Moana Surfrider, and other outdoor venues that serve drinks.

Edited: 09 April 2011, 17:40
Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Happy Hours in Waikiki

Here's a listing to check out:

http://tinyurl.com/3kbowtb

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Happy Hours in Waikiki

Thanks for the Link.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Happy Hours in Waikiki

A lot of the places have happy hour in the 4-6 or 5-7 rrnage and some have a late night happy hour say 9-11 I think your kids would be fine at the earlier ones the later ones not so much.

Check out the Qutrigger Reef at their poolside grill they have happy hour 4-6 then some great local slack key entertainment from 6-9 icluding Cyril Pahinui on wednesday.

Edited: 09 April 2011, 22:41
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,396 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Happy Hours in Waikiki

Generally speaking.....

If a place serves hot food from a set menu (even if written on a chalkboard), children are legally allowed in the joint.

There are some places in town which really don't want minors there, but they are not in Waikiki and a visitor family would have to try hard to find one to stumble into.

Many places, once they close the kitchen, won't let anymore minors in and encourage those finishing up to depart.

In Waikiki, you really won't have a problem at the most popular Happy Hours of RumFire and Yard House, and there are always minors in there. And, I know at Yard House kids are welcome to the later night Happy Hour too. Not sure about RumFire, I've never seen a kid in the later evenings.

Unfortunately, some of the best Happy Hours are served only to patrons at/in the bar, such as Top of Waikiki, Wolfgangs and I believe Ruth Chris. So no kids allowed.

Another issue is when you want to put live music into the mix.

Again generally speaking, most places with live music don't have Happy Hours either at all or when they are performing.

RumFire live music starts after Happy Hour. The Moana Banyan Terrace, Princess Kaiulani and Halekulani House WIthout a Key have great music but no happy hour.

Your best bets for a place with Happy Hour, children gladly welcomed, music, and views would be:

Tiki's Bar and Grill in the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, at the far Diamond Head end of Waikiki.

See:

http://www.tikisgrill.com/index.php?id=23

And, the Chart House on the Ala Wai Marina at the far Ala Moana end of Waikiki near the Ilikai complex.

See:

charthousehonolulu.com/menus/…

Edited: 10 April 2011, 20:50
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,912 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Happy Hours in Waikiki

<<Check out the Qutrigger Reef at their poolside grill they have happy hour 4-6 then some great local slack key entertainment from 6-9 icluding Cyril Pahinui on wednesday.>>

Food not great, very limited menu ... but dropping by for a drink is cool.

8. Re: Happy Hours in Waikiki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 06:17