We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smartest Decision Made

Jamestown, New York
Level Contributor
61 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Smartest Decision Made

A poster asked TripAdvisors what was one of the dumbest things they had done on Oahu?

I'd like to turn the table here...What's the smartest decision you made while in Oahu?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smartest Decision Made

Since you have not read the posting guidelines, I have copied them here for you:TripAdvisor forums are for travel-related discussions. They are not chat rooms.

Many of our most active members have found great friends on our forums, and we love that! However, please help us keep the destination forums as relevant as possible.

Messages or threads that are not relevant to the topic of a particular forum are subject to closure or removal.

Chuck...

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smartest Decision Made

Chuck -

What are you talking about?????

The question was about what was the smartest thing (maybe this was missed_ "while traveling" on Oahu.

How is that not travel related?

My answer to the question, is - walk Kailua Beach every Friday afternoon.

Eat shrimp @ Fumis.

Fall in love with the island every time I drive H3 or the Pali.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,038 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Smartest Decision Made

First time I visited Oahu, I used buses & other public transportation. Only got out of Waikiki a couple of times.

Smartest thing was renting a car the entire time for the next two visits before I moved to Oahu.

Jamestown, New York
Level Contributor
61 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smartest Decision Made

Thanks, everyone!! Great ideas.

Dusty, I've been debating with how many days I should rent a car on Oahu (only there four days). Financially, I think I'm going to keep it to one. Going to travel all across the island, scouting out as many LOST filming locations as possible.

Chuck, I respectfully disagree with your assertion that this topic isn't travel related, as Kailua offered a great beach suggestion. Thank you, though, for monitoring the boards, and I'm sorry you felt I was violating the posting guidelines. I would've loved to have heard one of your smartest decisions! :)

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smartest Decision Made

It’s a great question and just as relevant to travel as the “dumbest thing” question.

The smartest decision ever for us was to rent a car the entire time we were on Oahu. Also to travel to the North Shore on our very first full day. It would have been a huge mistake to leave that until the end of the trip or to just stay in Waikiki.

Oahu is an amazing island and you will enjoy exploring it! Have a great time!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smartest Decision Made

Smart Ideas:

Watch the visitor channel, when lounging in the room. If not for the visitor channel, I never would have learned about the shrimp trucks on the north shore.

Take in a shark tour, before all the boats were burned.

Rent a car and get outside of Waikiki. So much to see, even if you only rent a car for a few days.

Try loco moco. I get full every time I think about that breakfast.

Buy a rashguard/snorkel shirt. Prevents sunburn and cuts down on the time to sunscreen up. I bought two a few years ago and I use them on every trip.

Edited: 25 April 2011, 04:36
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,467 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Smartest Decision Made

Visiting the rural areas of the island is the easy winner...

And finding out how incredibly beautiful Oahu is; not just a big city like so many think.

Related to that, is visiting the beaches on the upper windward side, among the most scenic on the planet.

But easily the second smartest is to go out of Waikiki to eat. Honolulu is one of the best eating towns in America, with something over 3,200 places to eat. Such diversity and intensity, and so reasonably-priced.

Eat in Chinatown, Koreatown, Kakaako or Waialae Ave. and you will start to know Hawaii, as we love our food more than anything else and nothing better expresses our cultural diversity.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,428 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smartest Decision Made

AHH! The best thing I EVER came to realize was that my "itinerary" meant nothing! What I felt when I hit Island dictated my trip!

And Chuck, this question hits to the heart of travel! Sheesh

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smartest Decision Made

One thing that is a good diea is to go out and take long walks before your trip to get in shape. You tend to do a lot of walking and if you are not in shape, it will cut into your activities

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,038 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Smartest Decision Made

"Dusty, I've been debating with how many days I should rent a car on Oahu (only there four days). Financially, I think I'm going to keep it to one. Going to travel all across the island, scouting out as many LOST filming locations as possible."

There are a couple of "Lost" tours that are fairly inexpensive & can take you to some locations where you cannot get to with a car.

You really won't save much $$ by not renting a car when you figure airport transportation, using public transportation on days when you don't have a car and renting a car for a day.

Do yourself a favor & read about 20-25 trip reports. Use the search above: trip report

Those that rented a car the entire time were able to do & see much more of the island.

Park at Aston Waikiki Banyan for $10/day if you are on the Diamond Head 1/2 of Waikiki.