We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which route would you take?? Pros & Cons

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Idaho Falls
Level Contributor
604 posts
270 reviews
Save Topic
Which route would you take?? Pros & Cons

We fly in this Monday at 11:30am and plans have been to drive north to Dole Pineapple, see sights along north shore and maybe stop for a short hike along the way(somewhere) Our lodging is in Hauula. (south of Laie)

We are open to changing plans and driving the H3 or 63 (Likelike Hwy) to 830 (Kamehameha Hwy) north to Hauula.

Just wondering the pros & cons of each route. We enjoy beautiful scenery more than "touristy" places, but many we know have said the Dole is a "don't miss". Just looking for some additional thoughts!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,148 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which route would you take?? Pros & Cons

You are flying in from Idaho -- or another island??

My answer would depend on whether your accomodations would be ready for you. If they are -- then go there first and get settled. If you are flying in from the Mainland, your body clock will tell you that it is later in the day than you think, as will the hassle of travel. If you have to kill time, then sure - take a longer route. I would never consider the Dole Plantation a "must see." Most us us consider it a tourist trap.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Idaho Falls
Level Contributor
604 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which route would you take?? Pros & Cons

Yes, we are flying in from Salt Lake that morning, and will be heading toward our accomodations which are in Hauula (northeast)

I'm trying to decide which of the routes would be more enjoyable and/or scenic while driving to our accomodations. We will attend the PCC on Tuesday, stay one more night in Hauula, then leave early Wednesday morning to drive back to Honolulu to visit Pearl Harbor and we fly from HNL to Maui at 5:30pm that afternoon. Unfortunately a rush trip on Oahu, so that's why I'm wondering which way to drive while we have the time to see some of the island as we won't have time on the drive back from Hauula!

Thanks for your help!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,148 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which route would you take?? Pros & Cons

I would map out both ... and see which one you feel like once you arrive. Both are scenic. Again - when will your accomodations be available? Will you be killing time when you arrive from the Mainland?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,560 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which route would you take?? Pros & Cons

Change your plans....

The drive up the Windward Coast is one of the most beautiful on the planet, with spectacular scenery...lush green mountain cliffs, white sand beaches, blue sky, azure sea. Not to be missed.

The drive up the center of the island is only OK; nothing to write home about. Only kinda Hawaii-ish (could be lotsa places), except for the few minutes as you drive down the hill from Poamoho to Haleiwa and the North Shore spreads before you. Most of the ocean views as you drive along the North Shore are limited by houses and trees.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Idaho Falls
Level Contributor
604 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which route would you take?? Pros & Cons

Sorry BLBL, forgot to post that our accomodations are available after 3:00 so we are somewhat killing time and look forward to killing it with some beautiful scenery and warm weather!

Thanks for the insight amberloo; that's probably more what we're looking for. Any particular spots you would recommend stopping at as we're driving toward Hauula? (we also don't mind some short hikes if available)

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,332 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which route would you take?? Pros & Cons

Ouch! It is rushed and short, but you can make the best of it. I agree with Amberloo, take the windward side via one of those highways.

What time is check-in? If you have a late afternoon check-in I would stop at 3 spots on the way: The Byodo Temple http://www.byodo-in.com/, The Kualoa Ranch http://www.kualoa.com/ and Laie Point portaloha.com/SecretsOfHawaii/LaiePoint.htm.

Check in and get comfy then drive to the north shore and go enjoy some shave nice, look at the shops and maybe have dinner there.

On the way back to your condo, or wherever you are staying, stop by the Turtle Bay Resort and have a drink at Ola’s. It is right on the beach, you may find some live music, depending on the night.

On the day we go to PCC we like to go have an early lunch at Romy’s Shrimp Truck at 11:30 then head over to PCC. Are you doing the Luau at PCC?

Wednesday morning go to Pearl Harbor via the 2 highway. You can stop at the Dole Plantation on the way. I am one of those that do love the Dole Plantation and I enjoy stopping at their gift shop on every trip to Oahu.

Have fun!

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Idaho Falls
Level Contributor
604 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which route would you take?? Pros & Cons

scorchestra-yes, fast & furious was our only option other than not coming at all! So we'll take what we can get and enjoy every minute! Where is Romy's Shrimp Truck? That sounds wonderful and would probably work perfect for us. Thanks for your information on stopping points and taking the time to answer my post!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,503 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which route would you take?? Pros & Cons

Aloha,

Check your map. We have 3 tunnels

Take the Pali Hwy. and stop at the Pali lookout.

You will be glad you did

Aloha

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,332 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which route would you take?? Pros & Cons

Romy's Shrimp is 5 minutes from Laie. Half way between Laie and Turtle Bay Resort. www.romyskahukuprawns.org/Home_Page.html Print out their coupon for free drinks.

My favorite dinner on the north shore is at Leis Leis on the grounds of the TBR

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60651-d65…

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,361 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which route would you take?? Pros & Cons

Take H-1 West from the airport toward Waianae.

Take H-201, H-3 Exit 13B (about 3 miles from airport)

Take H-3 to Kaneohe.

Take first Kaneohe exit Likelike Highway

After you get on Likelike Highway stay in the right lane and take Kahekili Highway.

Byodo-In Temple (Valley of the Temples) is just off Kahekili Highway.

Continue on Kahekili Highway. It will end when it intersects with Kamehameha Highway.

Take Kam Highway to Hauula.

Stop at Kualoa Regional Park (Chinaman's Hat)

honolulupublishing.com/OahuMaps/oahu_map_eas…