We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach around Embassy Suites vs HHV

Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beach around Embassy Suites vs HHV

Hi everyone, we are staying on HIlton points and I was thinking about Hilton Hawaiian Village but am leery b/c of some bad reviews. It will be me, DH and our 12 y/o daughter. We really like to spend time on the beach, so if we stay at the Embassy Suites

(which seemt to have better reviews) what is the beach are like as opposed to HHV? How far is it and will it be a safe walk if we want to go to the beach at night? Any insight to this is appreciated. I havent made reservations yet, so we are still open as to stay at the HHV or ES. Thanks to all

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach around Embassy Suites vs HHV

I'd stick to the Hilton if you want to be beach front and walk on the beach at night. At the Embassy Suites you are across the street from several resorts that are beachfront. Beach is not as easy to access as the Hilton. And the beach on front of those resorts is not much of a beach at all.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,857 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach around Embassy Suites vs HHV

I would stay at HHV as it has better grounds & is spread out more. Also has a nice slide for kids.

Don't know if I agree with scorchestra that the beaches by ES are not as accessible. There is a beach access between Halekulani & Outrigger Reef. Also beach access just past Waikiki Shore. Ft. DeRussy Beach is nice & is close to ES.

While HHV is right on the beach, there are also towers there that are farther from the beach than are the beaches from ES.

Either hotel is in a safe location to walk the beach at night or any other time.

Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,358 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach around Embassy Suites vs HHV

I'd go with the Embassy Suites! The beach is about 1/2 block from the ES, easily walkable ... lots of folks around day or night. A great location. You'll have the whole stretch of Waikiki at your command.

Not all of the ES rooms are ocean view (of course), but some of them are. And there is a full breakfast free - and lots of room in the room for your family.

HHV - lots of families and conventioners. The ES is more in the heart of things.

Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach around Embassy Suites vs HHV

Our family (2 adults, 2 teenagers) will be leaving on Monday for a week on Oahu. We're using our Hilton points and will be splitting our stay between Embassy Suites and HHV. We love the central location of ES and will do a lot of exploring of Waikiki during our stay there. Then when we move over to the HHV, we'll mostly lounge on the beach and go to Ala Moana for shopping.

Edited to add: We last stayed at HHV 2 years ago, in a Tapa Tower family room. We LOVED it. Very clean and lots of room for our family. We stayed on points and upgraded our room at check in for a small nightly fee, which was more than worth it.

Edited: 31 May 2011, 01:46
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,970 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach around Embassy Suites vs HHV

I wouldn't necessarily call the ES's location "more central" it is like 400 yards, maybe less, from the HHV as the crow flies.

I like a lot of what the ES has to offer like free breakfast everyday and cocktail hour, great shopping and restaurants on Lewers, but the HHV has a nice pool area, but then again, due to the high prices of the restaurants of the HHV, you want to eat almost every meal off property.

Personally, we'd choose the ES, but with a 12 yo, the HHV might be marginally better. By the time she is 16, the ES will be a clear better choice.

Alliance, Nebraska
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach around Embassy Suites vs HHV

We stayed at the ES with our children, 14, 13 & 9. We loved the rooms and the breakfast is amazing, but beachfront it is NOT. To get to the beach you have to wander down an 'alley' of sorts. Workers from the restaurants sit outside and smoke and watch you walk by. It kind of creeped my kids out. I wouldn't do it at night. Once you are at the ES, though, everything is so well lit and there are several restaurants, ABC stores right there. One day we decided to walk down to Waikiki beach, which is about 6 blocks away. It's awkward carrying your beach stuff down a crowded sidewalk. We loved the ES, but next time we will definitely try to be on the beach.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach around Embassy Suites vs HHV

Stayed at both. Scott and I think a like on a lot of things. With a 12 year old, the HHV is better. With a older teen (or just you guys) the ES is better...particularly with the free drinks!

8. Re: Beach around Embassy Suites vs HHV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2012, 06:35