We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips on Snorkeling from a Kayak (double)

canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tips on Snorkeling from a Kayak (double)

hello, we're a couple and are relatively decent swimmers and have snorkeling experience in the ocean. we're interested in renting a double kayak and doing some snorkeling ourselves.

however, we've never tried kayaking out and then snorkelling from it. i've done kayaking before and getting in and out seems like it could be tricky without capsizing the kayak. and have 1 extra person may or may not make it even harder.

this kinda what i know i will need:

-a tether/cord attaching us 2 (so we dont float apart) and also the kayak itself , if not anchored.

-anchor the kayak if near shore (how..?)

does anyone have any tips or a link to one..?

thanks!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,330 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips on Snorkeling from a Kayak (double)

If you haven't done this before (or even if you have), I would recommend taking a guided kayak/snorkel tour. The guides will hold the kayak for you, to make it easier to get in and out and they will take care of anchoring. And, most importantly, they know the best spots to snorkel and will guide you there. I've taken guided tours on Maui a few times and we've greatly enjoyed it each time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips on Snorkeling from a Kayak (double)

I teach kids canoeing and getting in and out of Kayaks is not easy. If you have to do it, rent two single kayaks (something that is easy to get in and out of) and I would not suggest tethering yourselves together in the ocean. Actually, the more I think about it the less I like the whole idea.

Someone with more specific experience may have some ideas that will address your concerns.

I love kayaking and snorkeling but don't know a good way to combine the two off shore. Sorry.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
713 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips on Snorkeling from a Kayak (double)

Here's a "How to" article. It's based on one kayak per person:

www.ehow.com/how_5669351_snorkel-kayak.html

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,898 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips on Snorkeling from a Kayak (double)

Agree w/those above, I am a certified kayak instructor and if you've never done it before, tackling the ocean on your own in a kayak, then jumping off and trying to get back on is something you should do w/the tour guides who are there to help you.

Don't want to see you turn yourselves into a couple of statistics.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,330 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips on Snorkeling from a Kayak (double)

Speaking from experience...on the last tour we did, my wife and I were not properly coordinating our activities and she hoped off, flipping the kayak over, while I was still taking my gear out of the bag. Long story short, my mask went straight to the bottom. No only did the guide help us get everything straightened out, but he dove down and returned my lost gear. It's definitely worth taking a guided tour!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,496 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips on Snorkeling from a Kayak (double)

Aloha,

You really cant go wrong with a guide, they know the spots and will keep it safe.

The wind has been very strong the last couple of weeks, like every summer.

That wind can make it rough out there.

Have a great time and let us know how you did.

Aloha

7. Re: Tips on Snorkeling from a Kayak (double)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2012, 06:35