We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report May 19th-27th (Part 1)

AZ
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report May 19th-27th (Part 1)

Aloha my TA friends! I have finally gotten back on schedule and wanted to let all you know about my adventures. This trip included me, my wife, my 2 yr. old daughter and my in-laws.

Day 1- We arrived at the airport and were able to get our luggage fairly quickly and hop on the Thrifty Shuttle to get our rental car. We got a sweet Chrysler mini-van . We were able to get to the Ko’Olina Beach Villas by 1:30. We were greeted by a very nice lady who showed us around the condo and gave us a tour of the grounds. Our condo was oceanfront and on the 9th floor. It was 3 bedroom-3 bath. This place was AMAZING and the lanai was incredible. Anyways, I took off to Safeway to pick up food and beer for the next few days. I picked up some Maui Brewing Co. Coconut Porter..AWESOME! The rest of the day we hung around the pool (they had 3 lagoon pools and 3 jacuzzi’s) and went down to the beach. The beach (lagoons) were beautiful and not crowded at all. That night I cooked up some chicken tacos and we all watched the sunset from the lanai with cocktails.

Day 2- Every morning I woke up bright and early and went for a walk around the lagoons (Ko’Olina has 4 man-made lagoons in front of the resorts). This first morning (5:30am) the sky was a beautiful purple and blue. It was breath-taking. Me, my wife and my father-in-law left the condo at 7:15am to make it to Kuoloa Valley for our LOST Tour at 9am. We made it there in about 1 hour, even with a stop at Leonard’s for malasadas (I can never eat a donut again without thinking of these…so yummy!). It was hazy sunshine throughout the day but was great. This tour was incredible. As a huge LOST fan it was surreal to be in the different locations. Our tour-guide Jeff was awesome too (very knowledgeable). I highly recommend this tour even if you’re not a fan of LOST because the scenery was amazing. The tour lasted about 3 hours but went by too quick. We finally made it back to our side of the island at about 2pm to partake in some beach-time. That night I made quesadillas and we all sat on the lanai just chatting and taking in the view.

Day 3- I woke up early once again and made my daily walk around the lagoons. Another beautiful morning. I had heard from the bartender at our resort that the Black Pearl from Pirates of the Caribbean was docked down the way at Barbor’s Point Harbor so I went to check it out. Sure as heck there it was! It was an awesome sight and I took plenty of pictures of it. It was the actual size of a pirate ship. I heard that they were going to be filming more Pirates of the Caribbean movies there. After everyone woke up we had some breakfast and headed out to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet….yes, the swap meet. To be honest with you, it was fun and there was so much stuff to look at. Perfect place for gifts and knick-knacks. I bought a bunch of 100% Kona coffee there. It is/was soooo yummy! I’ll never go back to regular coffee again. I ordered 5 lbs. from the lady there  On our way back to Ko’Olina we stopped in Kapolei so I could shop at the Hawaiian Island Creations (HIC) outlet. I’ve worn their surf clothing all my life but it’s harder to find on the mainland. We ate lunch at the Hapa Grill(?) It was pretty good and everyone was satisfied with their meals. We also stopped at the ABC Store near the condo and my in-laws LOVED it! They thought they were in Hawaiian Heaven. It was too funny. For dinner I grilled up some fish tacos.

Day 4- Today we woke up and went to the North Shore. I wanted to check out a few more LOST locations so we went to Camp Erdman (YMCA) to see where The Others lived. The people at the camp were so nice and even told us we could go down to the beach to take pictures. What an unbelievable sight this was. This was the beach that Season 1 was filmed on. The water was crystal clear and there wasn’t another person on that stretch of sand. We then ventured around Haleiwa and ate lunch at Macky’s Shrimp Truck. The garlic shrimp was delicious but the flies and birds were a pain in my butt! After lunch we went to Aoki’s for shaved ice and you have to get condensed milk on top. It makes it so much tastier. We made our way back home down the H-2 because we were going to the luau tonight. After some cocktails by the pool we headed on over to the Paradise Cove Luau. The setting was really nice (right on the beach) and the people there were so friendly. All the guys kept calling me cousin  The pork was probably some of the best I’ve ever had. I loved the smoky flavor and went back twice for more. If you go then make sure you at least get the Orchid Package. This gave us really good seats for the show and 3 free drinks (4 if you count the Mai Tai when you walk in).

AZ
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report May 19th-27th (Part 1)

I added some pics with more to come :)

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report May 19th-27th (Part 1)

I"m so glad your trip lived up to your excitement, more please!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,519 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report May 19th-27th (Part 1)

Nice trip report.

But where are the pics? On a different site or blog?

AZ
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report May 19th-27th (Part 1)

I thought they would post right away. I guess I have to wait a few days for them to post.

5. Re: Trip Report May 19th-27th (Part 1)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 14:19