We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queen Kapiolani Hotel VS Aqua Wave

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
870 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Queen Kapiolani Hotel VS Aqua Wave

i am debating between these two places

Aqua wave looks nicer but further away from Queens Beach area and diamond head.

Queen Kapiolani looks nice but some reveiws suggest it is only ok

thoughts

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,925 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queen Kapiolani Hotel VS Aqua Wave

Queen Kapiolani has just been renovated. Gets great reviews on TA forums from long time contributors. I would have no qualms about staying at this property. I walk by it all the time. Looks lovely from the outside!!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,411 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queen Kapiolani Hotel VS Aqua Wave

I can't compare to the Aqua Wave, but we stayed at the Queen Kapiolani in Feb. Our room was average - don't think it has been renovated, but the hotel was clean, and I thought the location was great! We were only a block or so from the beach, across from the zoo and its cheap parking lot. I got a great deal on the hotel, so it was well worth it to me - like $69+tax. :)

Edited: 16 June 2011, 17:30
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,835 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Queen Kapiolani Hotel VS Aqua Wave

No question in my mind I'd choose the Queen Kapiolani over the Aqua Wave. If I was going to consider an Aqua Hotel vs the QK it would probably be the Aqua Bamboo first followed by the Park Shore. Park Shore has a great location, but the rooms could use a bit of updating last I heard.

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queen Kapiolani Hotel VS Aqua Wave

Both the Aston Wave and the Queen Kap are older buildings with the latter, just renovated. As much as the Wave is centrally located on Kuhio next to the Kuhio Mall and behind the International Market Place (IMP), Queen Kap is nicely situated with public parking and the Honolulu Zoo across the street and just five minutes to Kuhio Beach and surroundings. You are roughly a 15 minutes walk to IMP. TheBUS stops outside the hotel.

For many years I had friends staying at the Queen Kap at this time of the year (June) and they were surprise with the new additions (renovation) to the hotel.

A bit farther from the night life and shopping, only you can decide what is needed on your vacation.

Good luck and "Live Aloha",

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,925 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Queen Kapiolani Hotel VS Aqua Wave

coalminer, yes it has been recently renovated. I saw them working on the outside personally. I've also read recent posts that said it had been renovated.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Queen Kapiolani Hotel VS Aqua Wave

Definitely the Queen K for location imo it is so much more quieter on that end of Waikiki and you will be across the street from some great beach area.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Queen Kapiolani Hotel VS Aqua Wave

The QK is on the edge of the activity on Kalakaua. I spent a couple weeks there in January and have a review on TA if you want to look it up. I thought the rooms were very spacious - and the views were incredible if you get a balcony room - Diamond Head, the beach or both! Parking was relatively cheap. Room recently renovated. A short little walk to the beach. Easy access to restaurants and shops. 10 minute walk max to the International Marketplace (heart of Waikiki). Easy bus and freeway access.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,349 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Queen Kapiolani Hotel VS Aqua Wave

Would pick the Queen everyday and twice on Sunday over the Wave....

Maybe it's not important to your stay, but the Wave has (perhaps) the absolute worst pool deck in Waikiki, while the Queen has a pretty nice one with an incredible view and sun most of the day.

And, as Betty Lou pointed out, it is a short walk to many great non-Waikiki restaurants along Kapahulu Ave and in the Diamond Head neighborhood. Great variety from Greek to Japanese, Egyptian to Hawaiian, Italian to Mexican to Chinese to plate lunch to deli. Tasty, inexpensive and local.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,536 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Queen Kapiolani Hotel VS Aqua Wave

Aloha,

Just the location itself is a good reason.

And also less noice , sometimes you can hear the animals at the Zoo.

Beach a few steps away. Good to go.

Aloha

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,536 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Queen Kapiolani Hotel VS Aqua Wave

Aloha,

What kind of word is noice ? Should be noise. Gee, first spelling error I have ever made

Aloha