We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's new on Oahu since 2008?

Port Chester, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
What's new on Oahu since 2008?

I am pretty familiar with the island, since this will be my 6th visit in 10 years (I can't wait!). There are many favorite places to which I look forward to returning. My last visit was in January, 2009. My question is: What new restaurants, museums, or anything else have appeared since then that you think are worth checking out? Anywhere on the island is relevant since we'll be staying both at the North Shore and in town. Mahalo in advance for your suggestions.

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What's new on Oahu since 2008?

New governor. Some new stores.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,188 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What's new on Oahu since 2008?

USS Arizona Visitors Center is totally different. It is more spread out & has many more artifacts. The new visitors center reopened in December 2010.

Maritime Museum is closed.

Decent food court at International Market Place since it was renovated.

Father Damien Museum has been closed for renovation for several years. It may reopen before you arrive.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What's new on Oahu since 2008?

In Waikiki ?

1. The Trump Waikiki opened. with a bunch of new restaurants.

2. The Waikiki Edition opened, with a great new club and an Iron Chef Morimoto restaurant.

3. The Outrigger Reef, Sheraton Waikiki and Royal Hawaiian all went through comprehensive renovations; all coming out smashingly fresh and upgraded, with the Sheraton capturing the most buzz. All with a bunch of new restaurants.

4. Hard Rock Cafe moved into a new joint on Beachwalk.

5. The International Marketplace is experiencing a slow death as it moves towards total tear-down and redevelopment during the next several years. (although the Food Court is still tasty).

6. The Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center refurbishment has been completed.

7. There are far more street performers.

8. There are far, far more Aussies.

9. A great Happy Hour culture has fully developed, both early and late evening.

10. Everyone seems a lot younger to me than in 2008.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What's new on Oahu since 2008?

Outside of Waikiki.....

1. We have Target Stores now.

2. The State Art Museum at One Capital Place (the old Armed Forces YMCA at the corner of Richards and Hotel). Great little cafe inside.

3. Tango Cafe in the Hokua condo near Ward Centre (next to the PF Chang's). The best breakfast in town these days.

http://www.tangocafehawaii.com/

4. Kissaten, a Japanese style coffe shop in the Hawaiki Tower condo, on Piikoi across from Ala Moana Ctr.

http://kissatencafe.com/

5. Nijiya Market, an authentic Japanese neighborhood market, really cool products. One on Piikoi St near Ala Moana (the best one), another on University Ave just inland from King St.

6. Disney is finishing up a major project in Ko Olina "Aulani"which will undoubtedly change Oahu tourism forever.

resorts.disney.go.com/aulani-hawaii-resort/

7. There are a couple of great new Thai food street vendor trucks in Haleiwa/Waialua.

www.yelp.com/biz/opal-thai-food-haleiwa

www.yelp.com/biz/nuis-thai-food-waialua

8. "Est the Street" is the newest big thing happening every month. Last Friday of the month at the parking lot at 555 South Street near Downtown.

30 to 45 of the best street vendors, music, crafts. Thousands of local folks having a great time with fantastic food.

http://www.streetgrindz.com/eatthestreet/

Edited: 24 June 2011, 07:06
@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What's new on Oahu since 2008?

I knew you guys could come through if I kicked this up from the murky depths!

Port Chester, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's new on Oahu since 2008?

I'm not sure what you mean, but thanks for doing it. I look forward to trying some of these....and anything else that gets added in the meantime.

7. Re: What's new on Oahu since 2008?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 21:16