We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel?

Will be in Waikiki last week of September, female travelling solo. I would apprecate hotel recomendations. Not interested in the nightlife/bar scene. Following advice in previous question, I am willing to spend upwards of $200/night for a hotel that is somewhat quieter than most and will provide a little more luxury. I am on a mission to shop and suggestions as to where are also appreciated.

Sydney
Level Contributor
499 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel?

can't help with the hotels, as that amount is really pushing my budget lol.

Shopping- to the right you'll see a "Top Questions about Oahu" box and towards the bottom there isn "Shopping for Aussies". Click on that and read that.,.. LOTS of great suggestions and ideas etc.

Does it seem to anyone else that Aussies have suddenly invaded this place??? LOVE IT! :)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,059 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel?

You will not get the Royal Hawaiian, the Moana Surfrider or such for $200 a night. But - take a look at Queen Kapiolani. Recently renovated - and on the quiet end of Waikiki across from the Zoo and Kapiolani Park. Great Diamond Head views - and some ocean views as well. Get a room with a balcony. A block from the beach. They will not wait on you hand and foot -- they don't have a spa, etc. But you'll need to double your budget for a hotel like that ... a real one.

What do you want to buy? Will you have a car?

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel?

Also, take a look at the Hyatt-construction may be an issue though

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel?

susanna, I don't know your exact dates, but you said last week of Sept. I went to the Outrigger website and put in some "fake" dates of Sept. 27-Oct.6. Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach has a City view room for 199.00.

I have usually stayed in a City view room and have always been able to see the ocean, ask for Diamondhead side of the building. I went Solo last October and stayed there. I was very pleased with my room. I think I was on the 3rd. or 4th. floor.

Check out their website. www.outrigger.com

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel?

I would recommend the Royal Hawaiian and if you can afford it the Kahala Resort. Another nice quiet place if you do not want to spend that much is the Waikiki Parc. Their rate is about $200.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel?

Thanks for the suggestions. Exact dates are 24th to 29th September. No car (can't drive) so am quite used to getting around on my own. $200 was a start price, can go upwards. Really like the idea of being adjacent to the Kapiolani Park. As for shopping - the Visa is cashed up and ready to go. Got addicted to Pepperidge Farm "fish" crackers (the parmesan cheese flavour) and Mint Milanos in LA but besides that mostly shoes, clothes, handbags, sunnies and more shoes. Basically want to outfit myself for the next year or so. Like every girl, love Victoria's Secret, I just enjoy being in that store! And I love walking up and down the aisles in the supermarket - so many brands that we don't have in Oz.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel?

Thanks Pattie. I notice there are two Outrigger hotels, not sure which one you meant. Happy to stay on a lower floor too as I'm not good with heights so a glorious room on the 20th floor with sweeping views will be wasted on me. The ideal would be a garden type room. Any hotels similar to that?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
174 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel?

I would stay at the Outrigger as previously mentioned.

You've got the beach, Duke's (food is TDF!!) and you're right in the heart.

Shopping...I don't agree with the Aussies Shopping Report in the Top Questions part of the forum and do suggest you take a trip to Waikele Premium Outlets. I could have spent all day there (and nearly did!), especially the Coach outlet.

Stock up on makeup etc...a lot cheaper there than at home.

Other than that just hit every and any shopping centre you can find. There are lots of them...I was in heaven and don't forget to have a meal at The Cheesecake Factory. The wait is worth it ;)

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel?

susanna, the one I was refering to is the Waikiki Outrigger on the Beach. Not the Outrigger Reef. But many people stay at the Reef and like it very much. I have not stayed there.

If you search around at the Outrigger website, you will find a diagram of the Outrigger Waikiki, it will give you a good idea of room categories and how they are layed out in the building. You can most likely find this same information for all of their properties at their website.

You will not get a garden view on the Diamond Head side of the Waikiki Outrigger. You might if you request the other side of the building and request a room further away from the street and closer to the ocean.(more $$)

I believe they have a world wide reservations number. Wouldn't hurt to call them and see when that 199.00 price takes effect. See if it will fit into your travel dates.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,466 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel?

I would look at the Waikiki Parc.

http://www.waikikiparc.com/

It is a bit more modern and luxurious than the Outriggers and has signing privileges at its sister hotel, the Halekulani across the street.