We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 days Oahu - Big Island - Maui

singapore
Level Contributor
94 posts
268 reviews
Save Topic
9 days Oahu - Big Island - Maui

Hi,

I hope I can get some help planning my itinerary for Hawaii.

I hope to be renting a car through all days.

Comments and suggestions for this schedule will be appreciated. Flights have been booked, but not the car or hotels.

20th August Denver to Honolulu arrive 1235

Driving Tour #1 Mini circle island tour: Diamond Head - Lanai Lookout - Halona Blowhole - Sandy Beach - Makapuu Pt Lookout - Waimanalo Bay Beach - Pali Lookout - Honolulu

21st

AM: Pearl Harbour

PM: Luau

22nd

Driving Tour #2 Circle Island Tour to North Shore

20th - 22nd : Stay hotel based in Waikiki.

23rd Fly Oahu to Hilo arrive 8:25am

Volcanoes National Park

Stay Kealakekua Bay or somewhere on the way to Kailua Kona?

24th Kona

Kona Submarine Adventure or Dolphin discoveries

Stay Waimea

25th Waimea to Hilo

Stay Hilo

26th Hilo to Maui (Kahului) arrive 9am

(Western Half)

Wailuku (flower farms, pineapples, sugar cane)

Maui Ocean Centre (?)

Paia

27th Haleakala National Park

28th Maui to Oahu Depart 6:12pm Arrive 6:46pm

Kihei, Keokea, Lahaina

Stay Oahu

In Maui, should we just stay in Kahului? Or should we move to different areas to stay?

Do we need to book all the hotels now, or can we drive around and find something along the way?

Any help you can give is much appreciated.

Thanks.

j

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,977 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 days Oahu - Big Island - Maui

Wow, I'm not sure where to start. I really wish you hadn't already booked your flights because you are trying to do much too much in your time frame!

The Hawaiian islands are not set up with a Motel 6 in every town. You need to make reservations now or you will be paying top dollar...IF you can find a room during a very busy time.

You arrive at 12:30 on Oahu but it will feel like 3:30 to you and after a long flight I can't say all that driving sounds reasonable.

There is not much to see in Kahului and Paia is only 20 minutes away, Kihei 30 and Lahaina 45. Pick a place to base for yourself...it's a small island.

I'm not even going to try to explain the Big Island except to say it's far to big to enjoy in 3 days.

Pick a hotel on each island, get your hotels res and cars rented now.

Central MN
Level Contributor
294 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 days Oahu - Big Island - Maui

I think you are biting off more than you can chew. I would suggest not trying to do the entire Big Island in 3 days. Since you are flying in and out of Hilo, maybe locate yourself in Hilo and just focus on VNP, Hilo, and the rest of the beautiful east coast on this trip.

And leaving all of your luggage in the car and trying to sight see while staying in a differerent hotel every night is not safe. It's going to be best to just pick a base on each island to park your belongings.

Just my 2 cents :)

Edited: 01 July 2011, 18:59
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 days Oahu - Big Island - Maui

I would agree with the others. I'm not familiar with Oahu, but for Maui and Big Island, just stay in one place. Since it sounds like your flights to/from the Big Island or in Hilo, then just stay in Hilo. You will have plenty to do and explore in the Hilo area. You can drive to Waimea from Hilo and then drive back later that day if you want to do that, but I wouldn't hotel hop like you are planning. Hawaii is supposed to be relaxing and not jumping from hotel to hotel. For the few days in Maui that you have, stay in either Kaanapali or Kihei and explore those areas. Maui is not that big and you can drive from Kihei to Kaanapali in 45 minutes or so depending on traffic. Don't try to rush around and see everything or else you will miss the beauty of Hawaii, the relaxation, the fresh air, the calmness. As they say, stop and smell the Plumeria!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,617 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 days Oahu - Big Island - Maui

Aloha,

You need to look at some maps, I think. You don't seem to have a handle on where things are. Take a click through these:

honolulupublishing.com/Publications/about_ha…

You will be able to see that your plans are awfully packed. Ref Maui.......you've mixed up areas, too. Your post says "Western Half" but then describes items in Central Maui. On your last entry, you have Keokea (near Hana) on the same day as Kihei and Lahaina........no way this will work!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,311 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 days Oahu - Big Island - Maui

My eyes are spinning around in my head! Ack!

Are your interisland flights scheduled as well? If not - you can salvage this ...

Know that 1) you need to reserve rentals cars NOW. There is a shortage on the Islands 2) you need to book your accomodations NOW - as you are traveling during peak vacation season 3) realize that with each island hop you will lose at least 1/2 day of your precious trip. 4) don't focus on tourist traps like the submarine.

Do be honest with you - you have time to visit ONE island. Pick your favorite. Get a hotel/resort in your price range (we can help). Spend your entire time on Oahu, Maui or the Big Island. I suggest Oahu or Maui -- as both have an excellent variety and balance of things to see and do.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,401 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 days Oahu - Big Island - Maui

Aloha,

Great tips from above.

Esp. staying in Hilo on your Hawaii island leg.

From VNP to Kona is too long of a drive, 4 hrs. Driving on the island takes planning and night time on a 2 lane road isnt safe.

Be safe and carefull on your long drives.

Aloha

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,223 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 days Oahu - Big Island - Maui

Gee, I wish you were not doing 3 islands in 9 days! If you already have your flights booked then it is too late to change, but if you do not have your inter-island flights booked then change this itinerary.

Otherwise my comments are for Oahu only: 3 days on Oahu. Do not do the driving tour on the first day. Too much driving and you will be tired! If you are really feeling great then go for it. Book your hotel and car now!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 days Oahu - Big Island - Maui

I HOPE you mean you have booked your flights to and from Honolulu -- not the interisland hops.

This is WAY TOO MUCH! Please reconsider. You could be perfectly happy staying on Oahu, OR on Mau,i OR on Big Island. Not All Three in only nine days.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 days Oahu - Big Island - Maui

An alternative if you feel you MUST SEE more: You're arriving on a Saturday. Board the NCL cruise that departs Hononlulu every Saturday afternoon. You'll have food, lodging and transportation and glimpse the highlights of four islands. You won't spend hours in airports or wander around unfamiliar highways.

singapore
Level Contributor
94 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 9 days Oahu - Big Island - Maui

Unfortunately the inter-island flights are booked already.

But we can drop the non-essentials.

Like dropping the submarine is a good tip.

Or staying in one part of the big island instead of doing everything.

Sorry about the mix up on the locations. I was using a tiny road map and everything was squished up. I'm still not used to using maps on the internet.