We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waianae side highlights

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Waianae side highlights

On our next visit in September, we'd like to explore the Waianae side. In the past we've always backed away because 1) the bad publicity and 2) so many other gorgeous areas without the bad publicity.

Can anyone suggest not-too-touristy bars, local eateries, nice beaches, day hikes, etc.? - We're staying in Waikiki but we'll have a car.

FYI - Been to Ko Olina. It's OK, but we prefer more local flavor.

Lastly, I think I know the answer to this, but is it possible to cut across the mountains into Schofield to visit the 25th ID Museum? I think that would mean driving through the military reservation.

Thx

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waianae side highlights

The hike to Kaena Point and maybe the Iz statue.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,504 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Waianae side highlights

The Kolekole Pass/Lualualei Naval Magazine Road, which stretches from Schofield Barracks to the Waianae Coast, is closed to the general public. It is open to military personnel and their dependents on most days until sunset.

There has been talk of maybe, someday opening the road for general travel, but there are concerns over liability, unexploded ordinance and maintenence obligations.

Idaho
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waianae side highlights

Amberloo,

We are military and will be visiting next week.

The Kolekole Pass/Lualualei Naval Magazine Road- do you know if it is o.k. to take a rental car through there?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,504 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Waianae side highlights

tadsfam.....

I don't have an answer for you.

It is a paved road in good condition, regularly used for military transit and maneuvers; although whether it is fully compliant with County roadway critera is anybody's guess.

It certainly is a better thoroughfare than others regularly used by visitors in their rental cars elsewhere in the state.

Just ask the folks at the rental car counter; but my guess is maybe only one in four will even know about the road.

If you have the opportunity, go for it. The views are incredible, and the panorama from the east flank of the Waianae Range across Central Oahu towards Honolulu is very rarely seen by visitors.

Edited: 06 July 2011, 20:25
Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waianae side highlights

I took a rental car on it years ago after getting a pass (actually, my mom got the pass) on the Schofield side. I don't think the car rental places will care. As Amberloo said, the road is in good shape. All you will need to get your pass is your rental agreement, DL and millitary ID.

Idaho
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waianae side highlights

Super! You know I was looking for this information when the question was posted! Thank you for your replies! I'm very excited for us to travel this road.

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waianae side highlights

OK, so I won't be able to get to Schofield on that road.

MerryTravels - we'll check out the Kaena hike. Thx.

Any other recs for eating, drinking, and beaching?

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waianae side highlights

Not exactly Waianae, but I like to swing by Tanioka's in Waipahu for poke or a plate lunch when I'm over there. You can grab it on the way out to Waianae. If you get poke, put it in a cooler...or eat it while you drive!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,504 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Waianae side highlights

There are two restaurants definitely worth eating at along the Waianae Coast....

Spicy House (Thai), Very flavorful, solid menu, good service.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/spicy-house-waianae

And if you want vegetarian with a totally locally grown menu, you must check-out Kahumana Cafe. A date once dragged me in there kicking and screaming and I was very pleasantly impressed. Not easy to find, it is right near the road we were discussing above.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/kahumana-cafe-waianae

I love all of the beaches on that side of the island. They have great white sand, beautiful clean blue water and are excellent for surfing and body surfing.

Be aware that many have a vicious undertow (particularly Nanakuli) which you should always be on guard for when walking along the beach. Even ankle-deep wave wash can knock you down sometimes.

Just avoid those beaches which have an evident homeless encampment (not just folks camping out), or where there are guys hanging out or lots of broken glass.

Really, there is nothing to worry about during the day (at all), except don't leave any belongings visible in the rental car.

I would recommend:

Pokai Bay State Park

"Turtle Beach" adjacent to Maunalahilahi Point (the big rock/hill on the ocean side of the highway)

Makena Beach Park

Yokahamas Beach (near the end of the road to Kaena Point)

Saw KB's post. There is a famous poke truck out on the Wainae Coast called "Malia's", it is normally parked in central Waianae Town along the Highway.

Edited: 06 July 2011, 22:08
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,451 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Waianae side highlights

Aloha,

While going thru Waianae, stop in Tamura's, a local style grocery store.

Fresh fish and good Poke.

Stop off at Makaha Beach and take a swim on your way to the end of the road.

Aloha