We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking Kaneohe or Kailua?

Battle Ground...
Level Contributor
274 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking Kaneohe or Kailua?

We are two families with teen-agers visiting Oahu in August. We’ll be staying on the North Shore but are interested in going kayaking. We have some kayak experience but I would consider us beginners…and parental units are not in the best shape.

I’m trying to decide if we should stick with the trip from Kailua Beach to the Mokulua Islands or try Kaneohe Bay.

If we go to Kaneohe Bay, I need some advice! I see online that Holokai Kayak Adventures is operating guided tours to Coconut Island out of He'eia State Park, but we would prefer to be self-guided.

Oahu Revealed describes a paddle from a pier just north of the park out to Kapapa Island, passing Ahu O Laka Sandbar. Are we going to kill ourselves doing this? (IOW-will we be able to move the next day?) And is it worth it? Or is the underwater “view” better heading toward Coconut Island?

Please help me before I lead my group astray…. :)

Thank you!

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking Kaneohe or Kailua?

I personally think the Kailua to Mokulua is a far better paddle in terms of fun and what you can see. It's also potentially more difficult than the Kaneohe paddle. If the trades are blowing pretty hard, the paddle against the wind and waves can be tough...particularly for out of shape parental units! But, it's worth it.

Idaho
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking Kaneohe or Kailua?

We did the kayak trip from Kailua to the Mokulua Islands with a guide a few years back. We loved it. Two parents in their 30's and two teenagers, ages 18 and 13. It was a bit of work, but we all loved it. We'd all do it again. The only problem we had was youngest DD did not apply sunscreen and got very burnt that day. I think she figured out later that mom knew what she was talking about.

We are returning to Oahu next week and are thinking about doing a kayak trip out to the Kaneohe sandbar on our own. It will be interesting to hear other replies.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
23,596 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking Kaneohe or Kailua?

Aloha,

When starting out and fresh I try to plan the trip against the wind and come home with the wind. A very safe way to kayak.

Both Kaneohe and Kailua trips are a gem and with the trades a little work going but nice coming home.

I would pick the Kailua trip if I had a choice. You will probably see some turtles in Kailua, but Kaneohe Bay does have a lot more of them.

Make sure you get the back rest on your kayak.

Aloha

Battle Ground...
Level Contributor
274 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking Kaneohe or Kailua?

Thank you everyone!

5. Re: Kayaking Kaneohe or Kailua?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 19:19