We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days til we leave ...stressing!

7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 days til we leave ...stressing!

I am a teacher and I won a trip to Hawaii. Because it was a win, we have a whirlwind 8 day 7 night trip with not much say so in the schedule . That said its a blessing and I couldn't be more excited. We are flying in from Oklahoma city to Honolulu on Thursday. Friday we have a trip to sea life park and germaines luau in the evening. Saturday fly to Maui with nothing on itinerary. Sunday we are doing a helicopter tour. On Monday flying to kona with nothing on itinerary. Tuesday we have nothing til the evening and are doing a manta ray glass bottom boat tour. Wednesday fly back to Honolulu and then fly home Thursday evening.

Yes I am well aware that it's not a optimal itinerary but it's a free $10,000 vacation. We are staying at very nice resorts.

Me, my husband and our 4 year old daughter are the attendees.

Everything above is paid for and we have a rental car at every island. Do you think $1000.00 is enough for food and spending money? Any suggestions on how to enjoy the whirlwind of a schedule we are facing!?!

Thanks ahead of time and aloha!

dcj
texas
Level Contributor
368 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days til we leave ...stressing!

I wouldn't stress over a free vacation. Just go with the flow. You will be traveling alot so I would take advantage of those nice resorts and relax while there. Volcanoes National Park might be nice to see since you are a teacher but it is still a good drive from Kona.

7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days til we leave ...stressing!

Thank you for your suggestion! I was kind of intimidated well scared to post on here. On occasion I have seen people can be a little mean to posters. lol I have been a long time lurker gathering as much information as possible. Yes, we definitely are considering the VNP because of what I could bring back to my students. Thanks again!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
616 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days til we leave ...stressing!

Wow! Congratulations and have an amazing trip. Sounds like you have a lot planned, and if your daughter is a typical 4 year old, IMHO you are doing plenty. Use the rest of the time to enjoy the resorts, the beach, the pool, the sunsets...

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,117 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days til we leave ...stressing!

Congrats on the win! You have plenty planned for your whirlwind trip just spend the rest of the time relaxing by the pool or on the beach. Pack your suitcase then remove half...you don't need a lot of clothes in Hawaii.

Enjoy!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,536 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days til we leave ...stressing!

Aloha

Welcome to the islands.

Looks like great trip has been planned for you.

You should have enough in your budget. Since you have a car Walmart and a grocery store will help save some on the food, water and snacks.

I would carefully plan your trip to VNP, as it is a really long drive. I would try to be close to home at sunset.

Please write us a trip report and have a great time

Aloha

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,925 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days til we leave ...stressing!

Wow!! Congratulations on your win!! Don't worry about us getting on you, circumstances are what they are. Just have fun and go with the flow. Take in as much as possible and relax during your down time. This is a good way to find out which island you may want to return to someday. Great advantage!!

I just returned from a week in Oklahoma City, let me tell you, you are really going to enjoy the weather here in Hawaii.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days til we leave ...stressing!

Congrats. I would love to win a trip like that.

No worries just enjoy the time you have on each island you will love it and take my word for it you will want to come back.

I would also suggest to try to fit in VNP if you can I have not made it to the Big Island yet have been to Oahu Maui and Kauai and loved them all in their own ways but would really like to see VNP we love visiting National Park sites.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,064 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 days til we leave ...stressing!

Aloha,

WOW!!!! What a great thing-congratulations!

Pack light is the other thing I'd add. Remember Hawaii is very casual and you don't need a lot.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
246 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 days til we leave ...stressing!

What a great trip! Although perhaps you would not do it just this way, it sounds great. You will get to sample some really awesome places and the activities such as the helicopter tour sounds great when someone else is paying for them :)

When you really take a look at the stuff they planned for you, it sounds like it will not be too much and you have enough time to relax and do your own things.

Have a great time and please share your trip report.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 days til we leave ...stressing!

Congrats and have a great time. Don't worry about the mean people. Internet tough guys are a dime a dozen....ask your questions and take the good and ignore the rest!

Have a blast!