We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question re power adaptors for Aussie appliances

Sydney
Level Contributor
220 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Question re power adaptors for Aussie appliances

RE - the adaptor plugs you buy in the travel goods section for the appliances - I know these enable you to plug the appliances into the power point, but is the voltage the right amount to be able to charge up your computer/camera/phone? eg US is 110v and Oz is 240v??

Hope I made sense!

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question re power adaptors for Aussie appliances

No, you will need a converter-pick one up back home or in HI.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Question re power adaptors for Aussie appliances

Many chargers will take 120 or 240 volts. My computer power supply says:

Wide Range Input 120v-240v

If you check all yours for the input range and they all say 120, you can use them with just a plug adapter.

It's very fine print, You need a magnifying glass.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question re power adaptors for Aussie appliances

Hank is right-for example, my shaver has a range of 110-220 V.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question re power adaptors for Aussie appliances

Laptops, digital camera battery chargers and shavers have universal power supplies so work perfectly on 110V so all you need is your plug adaptor. If you try and use an appliance without a universal power supply, like a hair drier you will have issues.

One trick I use is that most hotels have an outlet in the bathroom that takes plugs from all over the world. So while I am using my travel adaptor on the laptop I'm using the bathroom outlet with my 240V lead for charging camera batteries.

Sydney
Level Contributor
220 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question re power adaptors for Aussie appliances

Thanks guys for the replies. Hubby has checked and the laptop power supply says 110-240 so will be OK.

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Question re power adaptors for Aussie appliances

Thank you Hank, preparing for my first trip to the US (Oahu) and although I have a universal adaptor I was worried about the different voltage. Took yoiur advice though and checked all my chargers and they are all within the range so all good. Aloha!!!!

goldcoast
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question re power adaptors for Aussie appliances

We take an Aussie power board with us so we can charge multiple items.

Sandakan, Malaysia
Level Contributor
352 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question re power adaptors for Aussie appliances

Really depends on the voltage rating of your appliance. My battery and cellphone chargers are both "100-240V" so I had no problem using them in both the US and Malaysia.

9. Re: Question re power adaptors for Aussie appliances

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2013, 10:15