We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do we stay?

channel islands
Level Contributor
82 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Where do we stay?

Its been 24 years since we have been to Hawaii (Oaha) we stayed at the Waikiki village and it was perfect then...has it changed?. we have holidayed in Florida, Barbados and Dubai over the years. Now with children flown the coup we would like to return can anyone advise a good 5* hotel where we can relax and go wiwth the flow......thinking of Feb/Mar 2012.

Manty thanks in advance for all suggestions.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do we stay?

I don't think that exists anymore.

Halekulani, Royal Hawaiian and Moana Surfrider are considered the most luxorious hotels in Waikiki.

There is also the Kahala Resort but it is not in Waikiki.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
278 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do we stay?

The Ohana Waikiki Village and Ohana Waikiki Tower hotels were completely renovated as part of the Waikiki Beach Walk project. The two hotels are now the Embassy Vacation Suites.

This could be an option if you enjoyed the area, but if you want 5 star on the beach I would stick to the Outrigger Reef right next door and completely renovated or stay more central at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. Both feel more Hawaiian than the other beachfront properties.

Edited: 30 July 2011, 22:06
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do we stay?

Five star - Halekulani #1, Royal Hawaiian #2, Moana Surfrider #3 (Tower Room only!).

But more than ***** - tell us what you want in a hotel.

Neither the Outrigger Reef nor the Outrigger Waikiki is 5 star - and neither is "more Hawaiian" than #1-3 above.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,878 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do we stay?

Betty Lou is right, the top three hotels, 5 Star, are the Halekulani Hotel, Royal Hawaiian Hotel and Moana Surfrider Hotel. The Outrigger Reef, which I think is a great property for value is probably a 3 1/2 Star property. I also agree with Betty Lou that I would be hard pressed to see how the Outrigger hotels would be "more Hawaiian" than the other three, especially the iconic Royal Hawaiian.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do we stay?

Do you plan to stay for about a month? Might you prefer a condo to a hotel room? Might you want to stay on Oahu + Maui? (You'd be in Hawaii during Whale Season -- best observed from Maui and Lanai.) We can suggest lodgings better with a budget than with *star* ratings.

Are you planning to visit THIS winter? Best get your lodgings and rental car(s) booked fast. Many places book a year in advance for winter dates.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,627 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do we stay?

I took it as traveling in either Feb. or March time frame, not staying a month in Waikiki.

The top 5* hotels have been named, but if I didn't get a great ocean view room for my price point, I'd go down a * for that view. Yes, you need to tell us just what you are looking for.

channel islands
Level Contributor
82 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where do we stay?

Thanks for all you postings....I have plenty of research to do. Not into the whaling bit so may have to review dates. Wanted something upmarket - spoiling ourselves. We only plan to stay 2 weeks, see how much the place has changed and generally chill.

8. Re: Where do we stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 March 2012, 14:59
Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where do we stay?

This is a very old thread, you should probably post a new thread to get a response to your question.

10. Re: Where do we stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 06:16