We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Macadamia Nut Pancakes?

Canada
Level Contributor
263 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Best Macadamia Nut Pancakes?

I’m not much of a breakfast fan, but I’ve got to try these pancakes!! Where is the best place to get them from?

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Macadamia Nut Pancakes?

I don't kno about "the best", but, House Without a Key at the Halekulani, Hula Grill at Outrigger have excellent M.P.

Edited: 03 August 2011, 21:42
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Macadamia Nut Pancakes?

You might want to do a search or just scroll down. Got the same question recently.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Macadamia Nut Pancakes?

Boots and Kimos in Kailua has a mac sauce that they put on their pancakes that some people absolutely love. I think it's good but not worth the long wait. To each his own...

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Macadamia Nut Pancakes?

Having tried Boots and Kimos for the first time this past July, it's at the very top of my list and exactly for the mac nut sause that KailuaBred mentions. The wait wasn't that long (1/2 hour) and it killed over anything I have had, previously, in Waikiki.

If you do go to the Hula Grill, which I also like a lot, make sure to ask for the coconut syrup. They don't always bring it over with pancake orders.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Macadamia Nut Pancakes?

I had the mac nut pancakes at the Gazebo in Napili Bay on Maui and that famous sauce just seemed kinda gloppy and overly sweet. The owners of Boots and Kimo's brought that recipe with them to Kailua.

It's made with packaged Dream Whip (aka Chemical Fluff) and some other ingredients. The recipe is bouncing around the internet if you're interested in duplicating it. I haven't seen Dream Whip in the supermarket for years but it's available at Amazon.com.

Gotta love the ingredient list:

Ingredients

Sugar, Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Propylene Glycol Monostearate (For Uniform Blending), Corn Syrup, Sodium Caseinate (From Milk), Whey (From Milk), Sodium Silicoaluminate, Acetylated Monoglycerides (For Uniform Blending), Hydroxylated Soy Lecithin (For Uniform Blending), Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose (Thickener), Artificial Flavor, Natural Flavor, Bha (Preservative), Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Beta Carotene (For Color), Citric Acid (Preservative).

I know---everything tastes better in Hawaii. Plenty of people really rave about it but...I'll pass.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Macadamia Nut Pancakes?

***Gotta love the ingredient list:

Ingredients

Sugar, Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Propylene Glycol Monostearate (For Uniform Blending), Corn Syrup, Sodium Caseinate (From Milk), Whey (From Milk), Sodium Silicoaluminate, Acetylated Monoglycerides (For Uniform Blending), Hydroxylated Soy Lecithin (For Uniform Blending), Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose (Thickener), Artificial Flavor, Natural Flavor, Bha (Preservative), Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Beta Carotene (For Color), Citric Acid (Preservative*****

Yuck....I think I'll just eat a papaya!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Macadamia Nut Pancakes?

Hula Grill.... i still fantasize about that meal.....

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Macadamia Nut Pancakes?

I found a different recipe for mac nut sauce on line. This one sounded much better (and is what I thought the boots and kimo's sause tasted like):

3/4 Cup Macadamia nuts

2 Tbsp Butter

3 Tbsp Sugar, 1 tsp Salt

2 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour

1-2 Cup Cream (depending on consistency)

2 tsp Vanilla Extract

3/4 tsp Lemon Juice

9. Re: Best Macadamia Nut Pancakes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 06:17