We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aloha Bus Double Decker

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Aloha Bus Double Decker

This sounds like a wonderful idea. I don't think it was running the last time we were there (Nov 2010) - if it was we didn't find out about it.

http://www.alohabus.com/

So I wanted to know something - has anyone used it, and if so what did you think?

It stops at Eggs N Things, so that has to be a bonus. :) It also goes to the Hawaii State Capitol & Iolani Palace. There is a loop for Pearl Harbour & the swap meet and also a night time loop.

(One of the reasons I am asking is because Groupon is offering a deal for this for the 48 hour loop ticket, and we were seriously considering getting it anyway.. so if anyone else is looking to buy a pass for this you might want to head on over to Groupon.)

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aloha Bus Double Decker

Too cute; Mahalo beedo! (One more reason to pass on renting a car)

Don't miss this YouTube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=97XJDjkTCr0&NR=1

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aloha Bus Double Decker

Thanks for the youtube, that gives a great idea of what you get to see from the top deck. Great views, by the look of things.

I suppose air conditioning is all very nice in the below deck and sometimes the day might be so hot it would be worth sitting below, but I think I would find it difficult to say no to viewing Oahu from the top deck..

We will probably be renting a car for a couple of days for doing a circle island tour but for me I think this would be perfect for getting around Waikiki and seeing some things we might not otherwise get to.

I find driving really distracting especially when it is a vehicle I am not familiar with and there is so much to see out the window - and everything would be on the opposite side from what I am used to here in Australia. And SHOPS with stuff in the windows, to look at, how is anyone supposed to keep their eyes on the road? :)

I'll have a crack at it, especially if I can rent some kind of Volkswagen but when my parents took us to Hawaii when I was a young kid, they got as far as Aloha Stadium from the airport before completely freaking out and taking the car back. ;)

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aloha Bus Double Decker

I posted a Groupon deal for that yesterday!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,640 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Aloha Bus Double Decker

If I was visiting & not renting a car, I would probably take the doubledecker for a city tour.

And because you can get off & on in many locations, I would just stay on the bus the entire first time around.

Take notes where the really interesting locations are.

Then the second time around, stop at the ones you liked.

Many of the stops are in or near downtown Honolulu. You can take a self walking tour of that area. See the Top Question on the right side of the page, Chinatown, Historic Honolulu & Aloha Tower.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aloha Bus Double Decker

Here's the groupon offer (expires before we arrive, but 12/15 & earlier= lucky you): www.groupon.com/deals/aloha-bus?c=dnb&p=1

Definitely agree on the one or two day circle island car rental; Oahu has so many miles of scenic coast hugging roads...once you escape Waikiki. Also, do think the top section of the chop top bus could get a bit toasty, for anything more than a 15 minute stint, between about 10:30 & 4.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aloha Bus Double Decker

I've never used Groupon. It says 5 per person, but limit of 1 per visit. We are 5 sisters...can I order for all of us, or can only 1 of us use it per day?

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aloha Bus Double Decker

Also, not wanting to drive into Waikiki area...would it be possible to catch the bus at Pearl Harbor, go to Ilikai Hotel, switch to historic route & return in the same manner?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,419 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Aloha Bus Double Decker

Teach....

On Groupon you have the option of buying for yourself or for a guest.

Buy one in each name. A groupon is supposed to only be used by the person on the entry.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aloha Bus Double Decker

Thanks Amberloo!

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aloha Bus Double Decker

Grr.. this is probably the most frustrating experience I've had in a while.

I went and tried to buy the groupons yesterday. As there are four of us travelling I wanted to gift 3 of them and buy one for myself. Unfortunately the system will not allow you to gift 3 groupons at the same time (at least as not as far as I could see) so I had to do them one at a time. Each one of them had problems with payment - failed credit card transactions.

This has happened once before when I was trying to buy something from the US, and it recently happened to a friend of mine who was trying to buy an ETA (like the US ETSA) to visit Australia. He could not get the payment to process and I ended up paying for it myself because it worked for me right away.

This morning I got a call from Visa Fraud re these groupons I was trying to buy. They were all showing as purchases for $0.00 instead of $22.00 so it flagged them as fraud.

And now it won't re-process the payments. I've been in touch with support but they just seem to send me a copy and paste identical thing telling me to put in new card details or check the ones there at the moment. The card details are right, it is that the system can't charge me $0,00 for an item.

I managed to buy one more as a gift since Visa Fraud lifted the ban, and one of the ones I bought (ironically the one for myself) worked fine when I first purchased it.

But now it won't let me buy any more ones, telling me I can only have 5. GRRR!

I have sent an email asking for the 3 non working ones to be deleted, but the deal is over so I don't know if I will manage to sort this out in time. :(