We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wise the break up vacation between north shore and waikiki?

new york, ny
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wise the break up vacation between north shore and waikiki?

we are staying 8 nights on oahu.....traveling with 2 adults and two young teen kids. as of now we are booked 4 nights north shore at Ke Iki beach bungalows and 4 nights Aston waikiki beach hotel.

good decision? seems many just stay in waikiki?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wise the break up vacation between north shore and waikiki?

Val -- when are you traveling? It makes a difference.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wise the break up vacation between north shore and waikiki?

I think you'll enjoy the contrasts of the two areas. Betty Lou is probably concerned with the surf action and the limited beach swimming if you go during the winter, but I think it's awesome to see during the winter. There are enough activities, including some protected beaches, that will keep the kids occupied. If it's summer, surf is not a concern. Additionally, some think it's "chillier" in the winter on the north shore (mid 60's at night and high 70's during the day are probably average temps...although, that's a guess). The north shore is beautiful and although it's certainly within driving distance from Waikiki, I like getting out of the city.

new york, ny
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Wise the break up vacation between north shore and waikiki?

I will be on Oahu from April 8-16, 2012.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wise the break up vacation between north shore and waikiki?

Sounds like a good plan. If you'd said 'older teens' I might have encouraged more time Waikiki and less Turtle Bay. Think about what you want to see/do on Oahu. Turtle Bay is pretty 'stand alone' up there. If you plan to go to Pacific Cultural Center, that's close.

Edited: 23 August 2011, 18:09
new york, ny
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Wise the break up vacation between north shore and waikiki?

Not staying in Turtle Bay staying at small place. We want to really get away.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,349 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wise the break up vacation between north shore and waikiki?

You have a great plan, stick to it....

I think I would stay in Waikiki first. Get to know the city and a little bit about the island, get intensified by city energy, shop and eat yourselves silly, and then head out to "The Country" for some R&R.

Ke Iki Beach is one of the more protected along the North Shore, and should be fine for swimming most days in April.

You'll love it there. Close-by a nice grocery and not too far from Haleiwa Town.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,255 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wise the break up vacation between north shore and waikiki?

I agree, stick to your plan, sounds good to me. I love the north shore. I hope you also enjoy it.

Malibu
Level Contributor
10,976 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wise the break up vacation between north shore and waikiki?

Stick to your plan. I know the Ke Iki units from when Alice Tracy ran them back when and the beach is fantastic. You'll be in between Haleiwa and Turtle Bay should you choose to go out.

Foodland is down the road for meals in.

Have a great time.

new york, ny
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Wise the break up vacation between north shore and waikiki?

awesome>>>> thanks so much for comments and keeping me exciting with something to look forward to. never been to hawaii. want the best of both worlds and sticking with oahu for 8 nights. originally was gonna hop to kawaii cause of the amazing beauty. but many say Oahu is great. strange how many east coasters never step out of Honolulu airport and just skip to Maui and Kaui

Malibu
Level Contributor
10,976 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wise the break up vacation between north shore and waikiki?

And those east coasters never see Hawaii country like you will out on the North Shore.