We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luau - clarrifcation please?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Luau - clarrifcation please?

I will be in Waikiki for 2 nights (a Friday & Saturday) and I would like to experience a Luau (never been before).

I was thinking of going to "Creation - A Polynesian Journey" at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, but I wanted to ask - is this actually a "Luau"?

It seems to be the only offering close to Waikiki on a Friday/Saturday night.

Alternatively, are there any other good "Luaus" in or near Waikiki on a Friday/Saturday night?

e.g. "Aha'aina Luau" at The Royal Hawaiian seems to only be on Monday nights and "Waikiki Starlight Luau" at at Hilton Hawaiian Village seems to be Sunday to Thursday nights (not Friday or Saturday).

Note: I have done some research and it seems that the common options (Paradise Cove, Germaine's, Polynesian Cultural Center) get very mixed reviews - e.g. some people hate them and rate them as terrible. Additionally, I would prefer to see one in Waikiki as I do not plan to rent a car with my limited time schedule.

Any feedback?

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Sheraton Princess Kaiulani
Sheraton Princess...
3,744 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki Starlight Luau
Waikiki Starlight Luau
267 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Paradise Cove Beach
Paradise Cove Beach
319 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Polynesian Cultural Center
Polynesian Cultural...
7,422 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
755 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luau - clarrifcation please?

With only two days, your options are limited. Creations has polynesian entertainment, but it is not held outside, so I don't think you can classify it as what some people would say is a traditional luau. Although I have read that the entertainment is pretty good. Reallly your only options would be to attend either Germains or Paradise Cove. You can be transported to either one, I can't comment on Germains, but I have been to Paradise Cove, and really enjoyed it. Especially the setting. Hope this helps a little. Either one will give you a very nice evening, after all you will be in paradise :)

Mentioned in this post
Paradise Cove Beach
Paradise Cove Beach
319 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,151 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Luau - clarrifcation please?

Technically a luau is a Hawaiian feast with Hawaiian food. It can be indoor or outdoor. It can be with or without entertainment.

All of the commercial luaus have entertainment.

Creation: A Polynesian Journey has the best Polynesian dancers on Oahu.

Their entertainment is kind of a production rather than typical luau entertainment. Same Polynesian dancing but better.

Most of the food their is not Hawaiian. Some is. But because the food is not mostly Hawaiian it isn't really a luau. But many still consider it a luau.

The only thing I don't like is that it is in an inside ballroom rather than a nice beach setting.

With Creation , you also have the option of a cocktail show. Same show, you just get seated after everyone else has eaten. And of course, your seats will be in the back or off to the side. So you could have a nice dinner elsewhere & go to the cocktail show.

Paradise Cove would be a good choice. The entertainment is not as good as Creation. It is in a nice location. You can book this luau with transportation. Takes about an hour to get there & 45 minutes back to Waikiki.

I would choose Creation over Paradise Cove. It is much more convenient, especially with only two days on the island. Much better dancers at Creation. And much better food at Creation.

Are you going to a different island for a longer stay? If so choose that island for your luau.

Disclaimer: My daughter used to be one of the performers at Creation. But not in the last 10 years.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Paradise Cove Beach
Paradise Cove Beach
319 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luau - clarrifcation please?

I am doing the Price of America cruise, and they do offer a "Luau Kalamaku" in Kauai (which I have heard mixed reviews about, and I could try to organize to do "Smith Family Luau" or "Hawaii Alive!" in Kauai, but again there are mixed reviews.

Additionally, there is already so much to see/do and eat on the cruise that I would prefer to maybe do the "Luau" when in Waikiki.

Any feedback?

Mentioned in this post
Luau Kalamaku
Luau Kalamaku
1,833 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,083 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luau - clarrifcation please?

Only two nights! Ouch! I would go to Paradise Cove and arrange for their Waikiki transportation. Better than Germaines. If you really want to go to a luau - and it sounds like a priority for you -- then go to an outdoor event. And you will enjoy the ride to Ko'Olina for the Paradise Cove Luau.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Paradise Cove Luau
Paradise Cove Luau
2,303 Reviews
Oahu, HI
5. Re: Luau - clarrifcation please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 22:17