We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Work trip to Oahu with family along for fun

Silverdale...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Work trip to Oahu with family along for fun

Aloha! We will be in Oahu for a week in mid September (Wed. - Wed.). I am working during the weekdays, but my wife and 3 kids (ages 6, 3, and barely 1) will be along for vacation. On Friday, my wife's sister will join us as well. My work is in the Pearl City area, but we are staying at the Embassy Suites in Waikiki. I may ask separately about our planned weekend itinerary, but for now a few questions about the weekdays:

1. We arrive on Wed. at just past noon. Unfortunately, I then have to go to work for half a day, and we will not be able to head to Waikiki and check into the hotel until afterwards. We need to find some fun, safe things for the family to do while I am at work, preferably in the Pearl City area or somewhere between the airport and there. They will not have a car (I will drop them off somewhere on the way to work), and my sister-in-law will not be there yet, so my wife will be alone with the 3 kids. Any suggestions?

2. Similar question for the remaining weekdays, when the family will be in Waikiki while I go to work. Sure, they'll go to the beach a lot, but what else should they consider doing? Things they can do with the kids and no car.

3. OK, what about after work? What are some things we should consider in the evenings after I get "home" around 5? Obviously not time for a day trip, but I'd still like to have some fun and see some sites, if possible.

Thanks!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
621 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Work trip to Oahu with family along for fun

1. On your first day, could you arrange for Hawaii 23 to take your family to the hotel? They will be so tired; if at all possible, I would want to get to a home base upon arrival. It's only 23 dollars. That would be ideal if you could work that out. We used them and they were prompt and professional. Your family will have their own shuttle bus and the driver will put the bags in for your wife.

2. Your little ones would like the lagoon at the HHV and Fort DeRussy beach (there's a park, there, too. ) The zoo, the aquarium, ukelele lessons at Pacific Beach hotel, the Bishop museum by taking the bus, Ala Moana beach park and Magic Island, a catamaran ride, maybe the Atlantis submarine. There's also a military museum (free) nearby your hotel if you think your children would like that.

3. After work, torch/hula ceremony on the mound in front of the Hyatt, Aloha Fridays at the Hyatt on Fridays, the freworks at HHV on Fridays, the fire dancer at the Sheraton, sunset on the beach if it's going on (movie on the beach), street performers along Kalakaua, Waikiki beach walk has a Sunday showcase starting at 5 nearby your hotel

4. When you're off work on the weekend: Hanauma Bay, Kailua, Lanikai, north shore for sure, Polynesian Cultural Center, maybe Diamond Head hike, Pearl Harbor, breakfast or lunch at the Kahala and watch the dolphins...also, maybe they would like a character meal at the new Disney Aulani (sp) followed by some time at the Ko Olina lagoons.

Edited: 04 September 2011, 15:22
laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Work trip to Oahu with family along for fun

I would go with yogimommas idea, there is a lot to do in waikiki, not much in pearl city without a car. Maybe the swap meet, but who wants to do that the first day in hawaii

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Work trip to Oahu with family along for fun

The Royal Hawaiian Shoppin Center has free music and shows and is closse to your hotel.

With this many in your family a taxi is a good deal.

The zoo is nice.

We get take out at the Cheesecake Factory (avoiding the line ups )

and we eat it at the beach or in the room.

Silverdale...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Work trip to Oahu with family along for fun

Thanks for all the ideas! Unfortunately, them checking in to the hotel without me is not an option, I don't think. For one, we are getting in a few hours before check-in time. But more importantly, work is paying for the hotel, and it has to be me that checks in.

I guess they could still head back to Waikiki on a shuttle, but the thinking was that they will be in Waikiki everyday anyway, so maybe there would be something else to see or do that first afternoon.

Anyway, you gave lots of good ideas. Keep them coming everyone! ;)

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
51,204 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Work trip to Oahu with family along for fun

Aloha,

I'd contact the Embassy and ask them to allow your wife to check in. If you speak to an assistant manager or manager, I bet you can work something out.

If the hotel isn't super full, they may be able to get into the room early. If it is, they'd be able to leave the luggage safely and go play. Ala Moana Park would be one idea--and the huge mall with a good food court is right across from the park.

Edited: 04 September 2011, 19:16
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Work trip to Oahu with family along for fun

I would try what swmarket said. However, if that's not an option and you really need to find a place near Pearl City...

There's a Chuck E Cheese in Pearl City, though I'm not sure if it's a place anyone would want to hang out in (except for the kids) for a few hours after a long plane ride. There's a Longs Drug store in the same strip mall along with a Ben Franklin (for crafters interested in local Hawaiian theme stuff) and a bowling alley.

The big mall in the area is Pearlridge. It's enclosed - air conditioning! - with food courts, restaurants, and movie theaters. They have a Farrell's ice cream parlor that might be a fun treat and the kids would like the tram ride that connects the two malls. The movie theater might be a good place to sneak in a nap!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Work trip to Oahu with family along for fun

Put your family in a cab at the airport and send them to Waikiki/Embassy Suites. Let them check in ... and perhaps ask for early check in. Work it out with the hotel so that they don't have to wait for you. Give the hotel some ID ... and your wife can show her driver's license or such. If not, lunch sounds like a good idea. As much as I like malls, I wouldn't want to wander around one after getting off a plane .... nor would I like to be stuck in traffic with you!

Pick up a travel guide or two for Oahu - and a good map! Also - Embassy Suites should have an activity desk and/or concierge to advise you and your family on things to do. Also - do a search on the Oahu Forum for "kids" or "kids activities." There are tons of post about activities for kid -- and places to eat with kids as well.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
621 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Work trip to Oahu with family along for fun

I can appreciate you wanting your family to maximize their time on Oahu and experience some things outside of Waikiki. I just think that after flying five to six hours (and more hours of commuting and airport time) and having a three hour time difference, you and your three young baby/toddler and child will be cranky and tired. I anticipate that it might be a nightmare for your wife touring without a car with your three babes in tow without any help. Even without children, many of us struggle to stay awake and can do little more than sit or walk on the beach, eat and crash after flying in from the mainland and beyond. It will be all that much harder for the little ones. If you can't work it out with the hotel for some reason, I'm sure that we TA posters will try to brainstorm and find a better alternative if you don't like the ones suggested so far.

Edited: 05 September 2011, 03:39
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,637 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Work trip to Oahu with family along for fun

Your family doesn't need to check in to drop off the luggage and then go to the park, beach or stroll Waikiki. They can also go drop the luggage and hang by the pool or go eat. But more than likely, they will have rooms ready.

And if your wife does check in on her credit card, when you get there, all you have to do is have the front desk tear up that registration and replace it with your card. Or she can use your card. No one has ever questioned my DW with my card (even though I wish they would some days).

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Work trip to Oahu with family along for fun

FBRB32: Does work know that your family is accompanying you during this first leg of your trip? If family staying in a comped hotel room is an issue (it wouldn't be an unusual restriction) you might see if you can book a separate room for them outside your expense account on your own dime just for that first day. I'm thinking it would be an absolute nightmare for your wife to be dropped off somewhere, in an unfamiliar place, with 3 little ones after a long flight. You might consider getting your family comfortably settled at your hotel to nap, eat, swim and relax so you can go about your work without worry. I think it might be money well spent and will get your vacation off to a good start.

Edited: 05 September 2011, 04:07