We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Jeep or Not to Jeep, That is the Question

MA
Level Contributor
386 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
To Jeep or Not to Jeep, That is the Question

Ok, so I've already seen the semi-inflamatory views regarding jeeps on this forum, but I'm going to throw it out there nonetheless. I currently have 2 cars reserved, a Wrangler and a Dodge Charger, and I need to cancel one. I got a killer deal on the jeep, only about $50 more than the Charger for the week and that was crazy cheap.

I think it would be incredible to zip around the island with a full 360 view of the landscape, totally immersed in the magnificence but I'm concerned about having nowhere to hide anything in a jeep. However several posts seem to imply that thieves are happily popping open trunks anyhow so not sure what extra security a trunk really gives me.

Thoughts out there? I know jeeps have a firm ride and lousy fuel consumption, but I'm not buying the thing, just taking a vacation.

Any advice is appreciated!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Jeep or Not to Jeep, That is the Question

It's really up to you. On days that I drive around in my convertible and I don't want to mess with putting the top up and down, I only take what I can throw in my back pack or that I don't care if it gets taken (towels, water, sunscreen, etc.). If there's nothing to steal, there's no issue.

For me there's nothing better than driving with the wind in my hair and the view from my car.

I vote for GO FOR IT but when I'm on vacation I like to really enjoy and absorb my surroundings. Leave your iPOD, and anything easy to steal at your hotel, jump in the jeep and go.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,396 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: To Jeep or Not to Jeep, That is the Question

Absolute yes on the open-top experience...

But a Jeep is less desirable than a convertible.

Rougher ride and waaaaay more road noise.

And, a good locked glove box is just as difficult to break into as the passenger cabin or trunk of a car.

Edited: 04 September 2011, 21:27
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,486 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: To Jeep or Not to Jeep, That is the Question

Up to you. Parking spaces are not huge. The sun is HOT. (DH and I are a couple of blue-eyed haoles who have already begun financing the private school educations of our dermatologist's kids.)

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To Jeep or Not to Jeep, That is the Question

Hey if it's just you, go for it !! Life is too short. If you are bringing a honey, you might not have room for the luggage and the significant other might not like the loud and rough ride. Not for me but I wouldn't want to cramp your style on vacation. We rent cars and leave nothin' in them anyway. Just carry a backpack and put stuff in there.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To Jeep or Not to Jeep, That is the Question

We rented a jeep on our first trip. It was great BUT we found it to be a pain in the neck to put the top on and off. We are not the type of people who would feel comfortable with the top off all the time even if we left nothing in the jeep.....too much time in NYC I guess :)

Also, the ride is ROUGH and they're not as roomy as one would think. We now only rent convertibles while in Hawaii. We prefer the ease of pressing a button and having the top lowered! Also, the ride is smoother.

MA
Level Contributor
386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To Jeep or Not to Jeep, That is the Question

Hmmmm, well I'm bringing my sis who has always been the practical one. I think she's more concerned with the lack of trunk than I am.

Seems like the convertible is the all-around best solution, although its another $100+. I guess what is $100 in the grand scheme of things, but I'm struggling with my cheapskate tendencies here.

I guess the other question that could come into play-- does anyone know if you can strap paddle boards and kayaks to jeeps? Just in case we want to rent and go. I imagine this would prove more challenging with a convertible. LOL!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,914 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To Jeep or Not to Jeep, That is the Question

I think the Charger sounds cool.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: To Jeep or Not to Jeep, That is the Question

My experience so far is it's been trouble squeezing my rental ford focus into all the narrow spots-at the Rainbow drive in today I got a tiny spot while the big rigs drove around

Also, it's nice to crank the AC!

MA
Level Contributor
386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To Jeep or Not to Jeep, That is the Question

Can anyone speak to exactly how much of a hassle it is to put the top.on and off? Are we talking 5 minutes of snapping it in place? More? Less? What do you so with the top when you have it off? Does it snap in a down position or just loose in the back of the jeep? Any chance of it blowing away or having someone walk off with it?

The Charger is full size so I am perhaps more concerned with that fitting into spaces.

Thanks!

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: To Jeep or Not to Jeep, That is the Question

Hands down people complain more about the Wrangler (noise, comfort level) than other vehicles. A convertible is more comfortable, less noisy and more manageable than the Jeep.

One mom I know gave in and got the Jeep because her 5 year old really wanted the Jeep. She hated it.