We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enterprise Car Rental

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Enterprise Car Rental

Has anyone used Enterprise for car rental at the airport? Are they a good company? Do you register at the airport and then take shuttle to pick up car?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,336 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Enterprise Car Rental

I always rent from Enterprise when I take trips to Minnesota.

I have not rented from Enterprise at any Hawaii location.

Enterprise is a decent company & yes, you take a shuttle if you rent from the airport location.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,924 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enterprise Car Rental

I would caution that if you rent from Enterprise that you take a very close look for any existing damage (outside and inside the car) and make sure it is all noted by an employee before you take the car. Get in noted and signed on your contract.

Then when you return, make sure that you do the same again and have it signed again. I know of situations where they take advantage of charging for damage and I know a guy whose son worked for them that said they make commission for those charges.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Enterprise Car Rental

When we have visitors who wish to rent a car when they are here we always use the Enterprise rental agency in Kailua.

Never had any issues with them over the years. We've even rented cars from them ourselves when our own vehicles have been in for repairs (they will pick you up at your home and bring you to the rental lot) and had nothing but great experiences with them.

Don't know if it would be any different at the airport office.

As far as checking for damage---isn't that standard procedure with any rental? It's what we always do, any time we rent a car. They give you that little sheet with the car diagram and you run around the car, noting all dings dents and scratches.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,924 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Enterprise Car Rental

KailuaMama - I have rented cars over the last 20 years for about 50 weeks a year for 4 or 5 days a week. Although technically checking for damage is standard procedure, I never did it once with AVIS and never had any issues with them.

I only point out Enterprise because of the input I had from a friend of mine who said his son had told him about the comission structure.

Just a heads up.

Battle Ground...
Level Contributor
275 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Enterprise Car Rental

We rented from Enterprise last month.

Upon arrive, you catch a shuttle to the car rental office out the front of the building, crossing the road to the 2nd island for all car rental shuttles (Enterprise car rental desk was not in the airport).

Enterprise is just minutes away. We didn't experience any delays with our paperwork. I was surprised they showed us a couple different cars and let us select which we wanted.

We conducted a sweep for damages with the clerk but noticed a large vertical crack starting at the base of the window shield about a block away from the shop and turned back to document. They took back the car and gave us a different one. (I'll be checking our bill asap to make sure our charges are as expected).

Drop off was easy and we didn't have to wait for a shuttle.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Enterprise Car Rental

I had the same issue with Enterprise when I had to rent here while my car was being worked on. While it was in my possession someone hit it with a door and left a nice door ding in it. Of course I got the bill. My insurance would have covered it by my deductible was so low I had to pay out of pocket. Insurance would only pay for the actual damage. Enterprise also charges admin and "loss of use" fees that the insurance would not cover. SIGH. Now I am VERY cautious when I rent from them or Alamo. Had a similar issue with them except they tried to bill me for damage that was already on the vehicle. That happened in Molokai. :(. If a car is particularly bad, I video my walk around just to be on the safe side.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Enterprise Car Rental

Thank you for everyone's responses. "Placebets", were you referring to Enterprise in general with the precaution, not just in Hawaii, or in particular the office at the Honolulu airport? Which Enterprise does your friend's son work at? Thank you for your help.

Edited: 11 September 2011, 17:32
Dallas
Level Contributor
22,924 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Enterprise Car Rental

IkebanaSF - I was referring to Enterprise in general as I was told that this was a corporate strategy to basically "up sell." Kind of the Enterprise version of "would you like fries with that !!"

I have no specific experience with Enterprise in Hawaii as I honestly avoid them. I only rent form AVIS because I rent so much from them and have some status for upgrades and stuff.

Again, all my opinion is based on what my friend said his son told him.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Enterprise Car Rental

Placebets, nothing like the perks ...don't we all love them. A fast Zoom to Avis Preferred is always the best. Since I travel on my own dime I do look at others. I wanted to mention one thing that I do regarding damage on vehicles.

I walk around the car and not only mark down the scratches and any dents I have started using my iPhone to take a quick photo. It takes seconds to take a photo and they are time and date stamped just in case there is any question. I've only used it once.

I find that all companies try to up charge for bigger cars, ridiculous services, and paying for a full tank of gas. The best thing is to always check with your credit card and insurance company to make sure you know what you are covered for and don't end up paying for insurance you don't need.

As for paying for a full tank when getting the car I have yet to see anyone coast into a car dealership with an empty tank to justify the cost.

Here is something that perhaps you may not know, If anyone ever signs up for the refueling option you have the right to fill up the tank before you get back and show them that you refueled and have that dropped from your bill.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,924 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Enterprise Car Rental

EpicureanFunT - i agree it's all about perks !! We always go on miles and stay on points !!

I have never done a walk around on an AVIS car and rent them about 40 to 50 times a year and never had a dime charged back to me even when I'm pretty sure the car probably got some damage while I had it.

If I was renting one in Hawaii I would probably do a walk around and mark anything I thought they might charge me for.

Edited: 11 September 2011, 18:27