We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honolulu to Vegas

Newcastle Au
Level Contributor
101 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Honolulu to Vegas

We are lucky enough to be returning to Honolulu Mar'12 thru to Apr'12 for 3 weeks.

On our previous trips we have done the inter-island thing.

This time we are considering (seeing we're so 'close') jumping straight over to Las Vegas for a week, as we have not been there before, then returning to Honolulu for the balance.

Just wanting to know if anybody has any idea of what a good price for airfares would be.

I want to fly with Hawaiian, direct, as we are coming from Sydney with them, & I have confirmed that we get our international baggage allowance (ie, 2x32kgs each!!) all the way thru.

Looking at HA's site, fares are currently $670 each return, not travelling on weekends, & we return back to Honolulu before the Easter weekend.

For people who have flown this route, around the same travel period, what kind of fare did you pay? Am I best to buy now, or hold off & see if the price comes down?

I have set up an alert on Kayak.com & am also checking HA's site almost daily.

Also, I see that HA does packages including air & hotel.

Would you recommend looking at these packages, or is it just as easy booking flights & accommodation separately, seeing that there's always deals at the Vegas hotels?

Any input/thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Paula.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Honolulu to Vegas

I have flown the Vegas to HNL flight a couple of times and the fare was less. If you have already booked your flight from Australia to HNL on Hawaiian and now you are booking a separate PNR (Passenger Name Record) from HNL to LAS you will not get the exemption on the international baggage. Please make sure you ask the question so they know the reservations are not tied together. If the reservations are made as one PNR all the way through then that is different than purchasing a separate ticket.

You may want to check and see if other airlines such as American, Delta or another company offers a more economical flight from HNL to LAS. I know recently I saw a good fare on Alaskan airlines when I was looking for my trip this next week.

Take time and price some of the flights and then look at hotels. Finally, pull up prices for packages and then you can tell if you are getting a better price with a package or booking separately.

I think you will have a blast doing Hawaii and Vegas in the same trip. While I live in Chicago, I often combine Vegas and Hawaii on the same get-a-way. In fact, I leave this Friday for 2 nights in Vegas before I go to Hawaii for a few days.

Have a fun trip.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,925 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honolulu to Vegas

Vegas is the favorite get away for those who live in the Hawaiian Islands. They call it the 9th island!! I've flown with Hawaiian to Vegas a couple of times. More often than not, a package deal will be cheaper, just price it out. Try panda on line, or google Hawaii to Vegas packages, you may find something to suit your needs. 670.00 sounds a tad high but keep with kayak, if they drop below 600.00 book it. If not, you will have to decide whether it's worth it or not.

I just flew with American Airlines from here to the mainland and back. Never again!!

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honolulu to Vegas

Returned from Las Vegas last night, Hawaii's Nineth Island and here's what I would do.

If you haven't already booked your air travel, consider a two city stop with Hawaiian for Las Vegas and Honolulu. If you already booked your airfare to Honolulu and at the moment looking for HNL/LAS/HNL, I would look into booking a Vacation Hawaii Las Vegas Package that includes airfare, hotel downtown Las Vegas, 2 per day meal coupons, transportation, tax and gratuity for around $699.00.

Hotels will be on the high side, unless, you are a established gambler in Las Vegas. The package to Las Vegas is on a scheduled charter flight by Boyd Gaming, Las Vegas. The only other way to Las Vegas would be to go FIT where you book your own hotel, find your own transportation, meals, tax and gratuity.

My trip to Las Vegas was to do some sight (hotel) inspection for a new Las Vegas charter company to start flying soon. The best way to Las VEgas for the first time is to go search for a vacation package. Almost all hotels have vacation package. You need to research, find out where they are located in Las Vegas (Las Vegas Strip, Boulder Highway, Downtown LV, Henderson and so on) and where you want to stay. Getting around Las VEgas is okay with the bus system, but, taxi fares are expensive. If money is not a problem, I recommend staying on The Strip at hotels like the Flamingo's operated by Harrah's which I think is the best center strip hotel where excess to almost everything by walking is available.

You do some homework and if I can help with answers, please feel free to answer.

Good luck and "Live Aloha"

4. Re: Honolulu to Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 00:19