We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Macadamia Nut Farm

Canada
Level Contributor
263 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Macadamia Nut Farm

Is Tropical Farms Macadamia Nut Farm the best macadamia nut farm to visit? What about the tour? Or the Mauna Loa Factory? I can’t really find out if there is anything to see there, other then a shop?

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Macadamia Nut Farm

It's really just a little shop on the side of the road.

We like to stop there every visit and spend 10 minutes sampling and buying a couple small bags of flavored nuts.

They sell coffee and other touristy junk.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Macadamia Nut Farm

I do believe that the Mauna Loa factory is on the Big Island. Hilo?

Tropical Farms Macadamia Nut Farm - not a big deal. Lots of touristy stuff to buy -- and I thought their prices were way high. They do have tours. I wanted to wander by myself, but that wasn't allowed. If you want to do something in the area, take a look at the activities at Kualoa Ranch.

Morris County, NJ
Level Contributor
698 posts
1,006 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Macadamia Nut Farm

Our island tour stopped by Tropical Farms and I thought it was a tourist trap. If I was not on a tour, I would not have stopped.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,777 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Macadamia Nut Farm

It is a tourist trap.

That said, we always stop there for a few minutes & everyone gets to sample different macadamia nuts & coffee.

Only one time did we ever buy anything there. My brother bought a star fruit as we had never had one before.

They are overpriced.

It does give you an idea of what is available elsewhere.

Also I have never been on the tour there. But I have heard it is decent for the price.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Macadamia Nut Farm

Is the best place to buy chocolate covered macadamian nuts at Costco or wallmart??

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Macadamia Nut Farm

My choices for buying choc mac nuts are:

3. Costco

2. Longs Drugs

and by far ( cheap & selection )

1. Don Quijote!

I know there's one behind Ala Moana Centre, but I go to the one in Kailua.

crazy cheap!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Macadamia Nut Farm

Palmtree - the answer to your question involves how much precious vacation time you want to spend in search of cheap mac nuts. I think Costco's prices are very good, if you feel like girding your loins and throwing yourself into the fray. Long's - also good with good variety of products. 'Haven't been to Walmart or Don Quixote.

The ubiquitous ABC Stores also have a great selection, of course. Personally, I stopped dragging mac nuts back to the Mainland years ago. Much less hassle and luggage issues to buy the nuts on-line from ABC. Excellent prices and service. I am very impressed.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,887 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Macadamia Nut Farm

Yep, the joints a total tourist trap with most nuts reportedly imported from SE Asia...

(We really don't have an established mac nut industry on Oahu as yet)

However, it is in one of the most beautiful locations in all of Hawaii, deep tropical ambience on the edge of Kaneohe Bay, with an incredibly lush mountan backdrop.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Troy....

But the Don Quijote in Kailua has closed and is being converted into a Target.

Apparently the land owners and Kailua folk didn't feel old DQ was in keeping with their upscale trending community.

Their loss.

Edited: 26 September 2011, 19:50
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,887 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Macadamia Nut Farm

Oh, forgot to add my endorsement to Troy's sage advice....

Don Quijote is the total BOMB when it comes to mac nuts and Hawaii-oriented stuff a visitor would enjoy.

They have a whole section in their Pawaa store (a couple blocks behind the Waikiki end of Ala Moana Center) devoted to mac nuts, coffee, T-shirts, trinkets, etc., that is like an ABC Store on steroids.

Directly in front as you walk in the door.

And if you go there, make sure to check out the Asian snack section over by the beer/liquor dept.

I find it incredible how snacks can be both similar and yet so different from country-to-country.

I've been going to that store for more than 30 years (back when it was "Holiday Mart") and I still haven't tried all the snacks.

But my favorite are the little dried fish (some with peanuts) and the little, whole, dried, sweetened crab.

Check-out the packaging on Japanese products.

Those guys all but individually wrap every BBQ chip.

Such attention to detail.

But it will drive any environmentalist insane.

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Macadamia Nut Farm

thanks for the update Amber ( sort of.....kinda sad ).

we will probably hit the Pawaa location when we're there in Feb.

It didn't fit in Kailua alright, but we loved it, always picked up nuts, coffee, pancake mix & coconut syrup there.