We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicopter from Oahu to Maui (not tours)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Helicopter from Oahu to Maui (not tours)

I see a lot of information regarding helicopter tours of the islands, but are there any helicopter companies that take people (and their luggage) from one island to another?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,343 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helicopter from Oahu to Maui (not tours)

Well if you have the bucks I'm sure it can be done! Sorry not sure how. I'm fine flying jets between islands.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
52,136 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helicopter from Oahu to Maui (not tours)

Aloha,

You could check with Sunshine or Blue Hawaiian, but I don't think they do it even on a private charter basis.

new york, ny
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Helicopter from Oahu to Maui (not tours)

I would believe it would cost some bucks. But for the right amount of money I would have to believe you can do something like this. If you want to charter a chopper for a day or night and you are willing to pay why wouldn't they.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helicopter from Oahu to Maui (not tours)

I've dreamed about inter island chopper commutes for decades, but guessed the cost would be beyond my means. However, here are some leads for your consideration:

We've taken a generic Oahu tour with Makani Kai and they seem like a well-run organization. This is a link to their "Charter page"; perhaps a long-shot, but might be worth giving them a call.

www.makanikai.com/helicoptercharters.html

If MK doesn't work, Air Maui also promotes charters:

airmaui.com/mauihelicoptertours/charters.php

Now, if you're open to an off the wall idea offering a more scenic route than available on a non-stop jet, here's an alternative:

Been several years, but we took an Island Air Dash 8 ( http://www.islandair.com/ ) flight from Honolulu to Maui. The lower altitude was part of the attraction, but the biggie was a short stop on Molokai which doubled the "WOW factor". Also, the Dash 8 is of a wing over fuselage design which helps with viewing...as long as you avoid rows 3-5 wherein the landing gear is an obstruction.

The flight is currently priced $5 lower than Hawaiian (for the January date I checked*) and the added time is an extremely worthwhile 30 minutes.

* Mixed emotions on this thread; hope the above is helpful to you; however, sort of a bummer for me. Due to wife's work commitment, we're having to shave 3 days off our upcoming vacation & are postponing Molokai until 2013. I rescheduled us for a Hawaiian HNL-OGG flight...kicking myself for not thinking of an Island Air stop on Molokai until now.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Helicopter from Oahu to Maui (not tours)

The problem is weight issues if you have a lot of luggage.

I suggest chartering a small plane such as a nice King Air or Chieftan out of HNL. They can fly relatively low for a good view.

I did a charter from HNL to ITO in June of this year and it was done for under 4K. If you want a contact for a quote on a plane charter feel free to contact me and I'll pass along my contacts.

Keep in mind that for a one way flight you have to pay for the return, but you probably already knew that.

Private charter is always a good way to fly.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
869 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Helicopter from Oahu to Maui (not tours)

Beaches,

Divide and conquer.

If she must come later or leave earlier, no reason you cant enjoy 3 days on the islands yourself.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Helicopter from Oahu to Maui (not tours)

OMG Frozen.

Rarely does a day pass when I don't ask myself the question "Why does this wonderrful lady continue to put up with a bum like me?".

I pulled something like that, and there would be one less question I'd need to ask myself....However, if I were the one still working, I have little doubt Sharon would be heading to Hawaii three weeks earlier & returning 2 days later (see Rocket Man thread).

Edited: 02 November 2011, 16:30
8. Re: Helicopter from Oahu to Maui (not tours)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2012, 04:17