We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Green Coconuts

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Green Coconuts

No tropical vacation is complete for me without drinking the water from a green coconut and then scooping out the delicious insides. Are these easily available aside ffrom the North Shore fruit stands? Can I get them in the Waikiki area too?

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,492 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Green Coconuts

Aloha,

I have seen them at a couple of places in the International Marketplace.

That soft "spoon" meat is a winner.

Aloha

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Green Coconuts

<No tropical vacation is complete for me without drinking the water from a green coconut and then scooping out the delicious insides>

Agree, sorry, but coconut water sound funny, "coconut milk" is what I am used to.LOL

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Green Coconuts

Coconut milk is very different from coconut water. The 'milk' is actually pureed coconut meat from a mature coconut mixed with water and very rich. It is often used in Thai dishes. Coconut water is very refreshing (especially ice cold) - and good for you!

Thanks jet83 - so excited that I will be able to get it easily too!

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Green Coconuts

<Coconut milk is a sweet, milky white cooking base derived from the meat of a mature coconut. The colour and rich taste of the milk can be attributed to the high oil content and sugars. The term coconut milk also refers to coconut water (coconut juice), which is the naturally-occurring liquid found inside the hollow coconut>

Not exactly right-see the description of the two terms. The water from green coconut is used extensively in cell/tissue culture-hence my comment.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Green Coconuts

alumnus- curious about how it is used in cell/tissue culture.

I guess the definition depends on the perspective. Food marketing industry defines it as I did above. If you went to to a grocery store and asked for coconut milk you would get the thick, rich white substance. Coconut water seems to be the new rage and replacing sports drinks as a healthier alternative.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Green Coconuts

Most in the islands consider singermom's definition as the correct one. Coconut water comes from the green coconut. Coconut milk is pressed from a mature coconut.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Green Coconuts

Ok. Coconut water comes from an immature(Nu)coconut; Coconut milk is pressed from a mature coconut; then what is the stuff called that is inside a mature nut, sloshing around, that drains out when you pierce the eyes? Wouldnt that be coconut milk and the pressing results in coconut cream? Chuck...

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,224 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Green Coconuts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_cream

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
869 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Green Coconuts

Coconut (milk or water) is good in hot chocolate!

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Green Coconuts

<alumnus- curious about how it is used in cell/tissue culture>

What do you mean how-it is a source of nutrition!.