We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lanikai & Kailua Beach in one day?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,908 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Lanikai & Kailua Beach in one day?

Is it possible to visit both beaches in one day? We'd like to also kayak while there, so is it possible to kayak from one beach to the other?

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lanikai & Kailua Beach in one day?

Yes and Yes.

very close and very worth it.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,908 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lanikai & Kailua Beach in one day?

Where do you recommend we start from...Lanikai or Kailua?

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lanikai & Kailua Beach in one day?

Only Kailua Beach Park has a dedicated parking lot Lanikai Beach is in a residential area so no parking lot only street side parking.

I am pretty sure you can rent kayaks at Kailua Beach Park.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lanikai & Kailua Beach in one day?

Lanikai and Kailua beaches are literally next to each other....although, not connected by sand. Both are gorgeous beaches with Lanikai usually getting the higher marks. As UNCMOM says, there is no dedicated parking for Lanikai. Parking is done along Mokulua Dr and various side streets...much to the chagrin of most residents. There are no public facilities at Lanikai. If you go, I would recommend a weekday; although, even then it could be quite crowded. Kailua has bathrooms and parking lots.

Kayaks can be rented at the beach or at Kailua Sailboards/Kayaks.

http://kailuasailboards.com/

They can also be rented from Twogoods Kayaks. I believe Twogoods will transport a kayak down to Lanikai if you want to paddle to the Mokulua Islands without starting at Kailua...but part of the fun of kayaking is the paddle.

http://www.twogoodkayaks.com/Rentals.html

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lanikai & Kailua Beach in one day?

Yes you can launch from Kailua beach and kayak out to the Mikes on the way back I would stop off at Lanikai beach. If you choose to leave from Lanikai please just pick up your trash. It is amazing that people not just tourist that "accidentially" leave the trash behind. It is a beautiful area both the water and the beach.

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lanikai & Kailua Beach in one day?

Start at Kailua, head to Flat Island, or if you have LOTS of time, out to the Mokolua's, then over to Lanikai for a rest, then back to Kailua.

you'll be feeling that the next day! :-)

T

Boston
Level Contributor
272 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lanikai & Kailua Beach in one day?

Absolutely! I've done both since they're right next to each other. Kailua is great for the waves and Lanikai is calmer and breath taking. I parked on the side street in the residential neighborhood and the residents were actually very welcoming. Definitely rent the kayaks and go out to the Mokoluas!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,786 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lanikai & Kailua Beach in one day?

You can easily stop at both beaches.

Lanikai Beach is more scenic. But as others have said, no facilities.

I prefer Kailua Beach.

I have not kayaked in Hawaii.

But I would rent one near Kailua Beach & do as others suggested. (If one of the companies drops you off at Lanikai Beach, start there. Kayak to the islands & back to Kailua Beach)

Stop at the Mokulua island (the north one) that is open to the public.

danshawaii.com/mokulua-island-article.aspx

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
23,623 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lanikai & Kailua Beach in one day?

Aloha,

Yes, if you can get TwoGood kayak to drop you off in Lanikai , after the Moke's you can ride the current and have the wind at your back going to Kailua.

Much more enjoyable then the other way around.

Aloha

Edited: 07 December 2011, 03:27
Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lanikai & Kailua Beach in one day?

Awwww, c'mon jet...maybe they want the workout!