We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying at 2 different hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
1 review
Save Topic
staying at 2 different hotels

we planning on staying in waikiki for 12 nights. Looking at 6 nights courtyard at marriot then 6 nights aston on waikiki near beach. The other hotel near international food market and shops. Need your advice. Does this sound a good idea.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying at 2 different hotels

No why do you want to switch hotels they are not that far from from each other you could walk from one to the other in less than 15 minutes.

Here's a map that shows their locations.

www.discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html

Courtyard #37

Aston Waikiki Beach#72

We like to check in and get settled in so one place per island for us.

Aston Waikiki Beach has the better location imo.

Sydney
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: staying at 2 different hotels

We actually did 13 nights in June at 3 hotels checking in and out was a bit of a hassle but was good to experience different levels of hotels. We did Waikiki Gateway for 3 nights which I probably wouldn't stay at again. Holiday Inn for 5 nights which is right next to the international market place we will probably stay there again next year as it wasn't very expensive, nice room and is right in the middle of Waikiki and finally Outrigger on the Reef which was really nice but a little expensive for the amount of time you really spend in your room.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,343 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: staying at 2 different hotels

Sorry I get so into Island time I can't imagine wasting most of a day moving! Especially from one Waikiki hotel to another...where are ya gonna sit with your luggage from 11 am check-out until 4 p.m. checkin to the next hotel?

California
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: staying at 2 different hotels

I would stay at one hotel unless you wanted to spend a few nights on north shore

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: staying at 2 different hotels

My husband and I love staying at two different hotels when we go to Waikiki.

The first time we did it, it was because we had Starwood points and the best way to use 'em was to split up the trip between Sheraton Princess Kaiulani and Moana Surfrider (right across the street from each other and so close that they share a guest parking garage.)

But now we've just booked a "split" trip for the fourth time!

This time: Outrigger Reef then Hyatt (Hyatt we got w/AA miles)

Last time: Hilton Hawaiian Village then Royal Hawaiian (RH we got w/points)

Time before: Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore then Parc Waikiki.

We love doing this because we love hanging out at resorts, enjoying the pools and beaches and restaurants there.

If your Waikiki hotel is really just going to be home base for exploring the island, then there's no reason to change. But if you like to "experience" the properties, which I really do, then a two-hotel trip can be a fun way to get in two different experiences on the same trip.

If you're going to split the trip, consider a few nights on the North Shore.

But I also like your plan as-is. Courtyard isn't really in the "heart" of things. The feel of the place is sort of dictated by the park it's near. If you spent your second six nights somewhere in the very different Moana Surfrider neighborhood, it could be like having two trips in one.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,950 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: staying at 2 different hotels

We've split time on Oahu before, but never with in Waikiki. Usually it is when the DW goes with me on a business trip to Oahu when she can get away. We do 3 or 4 nights in Waikiki depending on how long my business is going to take and then we go to the Kahala or JW Marriott for a few more nights of doing nothing.

It is a bit of a hassle, but we've never had a problem having one hotel keep our luggage after we've checked out or having the other hold it if we get there early.

I wouldn't do it just to do it and if I was going to be in Waikiki that long, I'd seriously consider a condo (self catering apartment) at the Waikiki Shore, Aston Waikiki Banyan or Aston Waikiki Beach Tower instead of staying at hotels.

I actually like the Courtyard's location as it is just off Lewers and therefore close to the Beachwalk & Royal Hawaiian Center, not to mention the nice end (for shopping) of Kalakaua.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,339 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: staying at 2 different hotels

It's also been my experience that a hotel will let you use the resort grounds and amenities even after check out. They just want you out of the room, not necessarily the hotel. They'll hang onto your luggage until you are ready to check into the next hotel. Easy!!

8. Re: staying at 2 different hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2013, 10:17