We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching and motion sickness

california
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Whale watching and motion sickness

I'll be in Oahu the end of January and would like to see some whales. Unfortunately, my kids and I are prone to motion sickness. For this reason, I was thinking the bigger the boat, the better, and was looking into the star of honolulu. Is this best option for those who get sick? And are the waves choppy at that time of year? Is there a better time of day to go (calmer waters)?

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
O'ahu Hawaii Tandem Paragliding
Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Parasailing & Paragliding, Air Tours
Dolphin Star (Hoku Nai'a)
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Wild Side Specialty Tours
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling, Swim with Dolphins, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Dolphin Excursions Snorkel Adventure
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling, Swim with Dolphins, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching and motion sickness

I am extremely susceptible to motion sickness, but go whale watching anyway every visit (usually oo shore Maui); think you all will love it...assuming no one has a "which way is up?" (or worse) problem.

Subsequent to the demise of Maui's Navatek 2, the only boat on which I haven't had a problem is Navatek 1 out of Oahu:

atlantisadventures.com/book/details/23833/wh…

If more "why is iNavatek better?" info is desired, this link provides a reasonable explanation:

www.aerohydro.com/products/marine/navatek.htm

As far as time of day, morning waters are usually calmer and the whales are more active. Also, as I recall, the morning Navatek cruise is a fair amount less expensive that either lunch or dinner.

Hope you all have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching and motion sickness

I went on the Navtek and didn't have any issues. I have been known to feed the fishes on smaller boats. They have a nice breakfast cruise for whale watching.

Morning is definitely better.

Enjoy!

california
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching and motion sickness

Thanks for the replies! I'll Check out the navatech!

Edited: 03 January 2012, 17:38
Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching and motion sickness

I wonder what happened to the Maui Navatek?

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
5. Re: Whale watching and motion sickness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 March 2012, 12:35
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
65,118 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale watching and motion sickness

Aloha,

The Maui Navatek boat went to Oahu years ago. The cost of running it here just didn't compute. It went to Oahu first-they planned to "add" it there. But that didn't make sense either, in the end. Roy Tokujo sold it in about 05 IIRC.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Roy's Restaurant
Roy's Restaurant
1,431 Reviews
Oahu, HI
7. Re: Whale watching and motion sickness

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 March 2012, 19:13
Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale watching and motion sickness

I know! Isn't that something! Wish I was on Oahu yesterday.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
sacramento ca
Level Contributor
686 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale watching and motion sickness

try ginger pills. i didn't get sick a bit doing napili coast or whale watching in CA where it's really rough. and i'm known for my seasickness

10. Re: Whale watching and motion sickness

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2013, 10:18