We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How busy is waikiki really?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How busy is waikiki really?

I hear that it's busy? But how busy I am wondering as everyone has differing perceptions...

I have been to south beach Miami, how does the vibe compare?

I am coming to Hawaii for 15 nights with my husband, we are both 30. We are planning on starting with 7 nights in Maui followed by Oahu. I want mostly relaxation with a bit of sights. Not keen on heaps of people (what is heaps... Loved south beach ,iami, love Vegas, neither too busy... Not so keen on NYC) So itinery dilemma...

So should we:

1. arrive Waikiki from Maui and explore relax

2. shopping (we are Aussies, must be done!)

3. Pearl harbor

4 more shopping

5 check out, climb diamond head then drive to turtle bay resort via some lookouts etc

6 relax at hotel

7 explore island / beaches

8 relax or explore another beach

9 return to Australia :-(

Sooo do you recommend we run with the above and change hotels.... I do hate the packing and moving luggage etc... One hotel does work nicer... Or stay in Waikiki the whole time with similar itinery but all out of Waikiki.

How busy really is Waikiki??

Also we are coming in may.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
150 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Melbourne
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How busy is waikiki really?

Busyness gauge... If we go to the beach in Waikiki will we be able to get a lounge and shade or will they all be full?

I have not picked a hotel as yet but would like one on the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Dallas
Level Contributor
25,146 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How busy is waikiki really?

Where are you staying?

If you go to the beach on Waikiki, you will have to pay for a lounge chair and umbrella. Either buy them and carry them to the beach, or rent from several places at approximately $50 a day for two.

May is a great time to go. Waikiki is always busy, but crowds have never been a problem for us at that time.

Might want to take in to account for Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head and go early in the day.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
150 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Calgary
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How busy is waikiki really?

Busy? yes, but not like Vegas busy. There's a small section of the beach that can feel crowded but very easy to walk a little bit and have a sense of space. And the streets I think are busy, but not insane at all.

"9 return to Australia :-("

yeah, returning to lows of 20C and highs of 33C must be rough, try MINUS 20C! geeezzzz.

Mentioned in this post
Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,973 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How busy is waikiki really?

What is the hotel budget? I don't see a need to move hotels if you stay at a hotel that is on the quiet side of Waikiki. Take a look at New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel -- right on the beach at the quiet end of Waikiki, about 2km walk to the middle of the busy portion of Waikiki (where International Market Place is).

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel
The New Otani Kaimana...
1,005 Reviews
Oahu, HI
International Market Place
International Market...
353 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How busy is waikiki really?

Calgarytroy

Whoever turned on the freezer at full blast should be shot today! I was enjoying our spring weather.

Lozzie,

Dont worry Waikiki is nothing like NYC for crowds.

I've never had a hard time finding a primo location to throw down the towels and leave the bags. Never felt crushed by crowds at the international Market place - usually we were the only ones in/at whatever place the vendors were. We even have a favourite vendor and owner in the market. We can't wait to see Chris again in 2012.

Our first time in Hawaii was when Perry's Smorgy was still in business and I think that is the only place we ever waited in a line for more than 5 minutes. My then 4 yr old loved that place! It was never so busy that he couldnt be a kid, he would take my camera and wander over to the waterfall and take pictures, or chase the birds around. While many hated it, we really did enjoy it. For me it was about his smiles.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,107 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How busy is waikiki really?

I'm a country girl and hate NYC because of the crowds, but I enjoy Waikiki (except for rush hour). Lots of people but not wall-to-wall by any means.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Sydney
Level Contributor
124 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How busy is waikiki really?

If your budget can manage it the Royal Hawaiian would be a good bet. Right on the beach, chairs and umbrellas available (if you're down there early enough) and it's a relatively quiet and peaceful hotel considering its location in the heart of Waikiki.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Dallas
Level Contributor
25,146 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How busy is waikiki really?

Beach loungers and umbrellas are free at the Royal Hawaiian and in kind of a "private beach" area. (All beaches in Hawaii are technically public beaches but they get away with it.)

It's the only hotel I'm aware of that has them for free any more I think. Maybe the Hyatt gives you chairs to carry over to the beach for free but I'm not positive about that. Seems like I've seen that mentioned recently somewhere.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Melbourne
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How busy is waikiki really?

Thanks, the new otani hotel looks nice but my husbands not keen on a hotel without a pool... Any others like this, removed but still on the beach and still close to be able to walk to the action?

Is the Sheraton or Waikiki reef busy parts of Waikiki beach?

My budget is about $250 to $350.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Waikiki Beach
Waikiki Beach
14,306 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How busy is waikiki really?

Have a look at the Outrigger Hotels ... both on the beach. But you'll find Waikiki not a big beach at all compared to what we have at home.

Someone on this site mentioned that the Royal Hawaiian Hotel was cheaper than the Moama Surfrider .. so check those out as well.

I'd spend a whole day going to Turtle Bay and the north shore, without Diamond Head hike .. do that another day. The drive along the windward coast is lovely and you can stop at so many places.

Pearl Harbor is a must .. it's a great tourist attraction, but go early.

I'd stay at one hotel for the entire time.

Remember when you shop, go to Macys with your passport and get a 10% discount voucher which will last a month - at any Macy's store.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
4,629 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI