We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too afraid to jump the gun...what are the odds?

Northern MN
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Too afraid to jump the gun...what are the odds?

I am literally driving myself nuts worrying about what day to do what and and am afraid by the time i book excursions it will be too late and there will be no openings. I am so afraid it is going to rain on the days we want to do certain things and sure enough when i looked up the forecast for next week it says 30-50% chance of rain every single day. I have heard rumors that you cant go too much by the forecast because when it rains, it clears up pretty quickly. how true is this? we are staying by kapolei from which i understand is the drier side of the island, but planning to do excursions all over the island. has anyone ever gone where the weather has been bad the entire time and it ruined their vacation? i cant even imagine.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
935 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too afraid to jump the gun...what are the odds?

Take a deep Breath tammy.

In through the nose out through the mouth.

Repeat 10 times.

If still not calm repeat until calm.

There is rain always somewhere on the island. Doesnt mean it will ruin your vacation.

We luau'd through a thunderstorm. The show went on, we had wet food, they gave us poncho's.....the rain stopped and we enjoyed ourselves.

Many times there is a light mist then it goes away.

If something is an absolute must and you feel you can't look yourself in the mirror ever again then book it. Otherwise take a deep breath and relax.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
755 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too afraid to jump the gun...what are the odds?

In my experience, it rains almost everyday, but usually early in the morning, or very late at night, and not necessarily where you will be. The forecast is for rain somewhere on the island, it's just general, and that's what it's like in a tropical place. You wouldn't want it any other way, or it wouldn't be so green. I wouldn't even call it rain being from Vancouver, more like a mist, and warm to boot. The weather won't be a problem for you. Don't stress over the weather, it will probably be great for 99% of your trip.

California
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too afraid to jump the gun...what are the odds?

A little rain here and there, that is life in Hawaii, that's why it's so green. It's usually not the kind if rain that hinders your activities in anyway. You'll have a great time and stop worrying, get into an Aloha state of mind

Northern MN
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too afraid to jump the gun...what are the odds?

lol thanks. i took a deep breath, but i hate their stupid cancellation policies. i understand them, but i hate them. some of these excursions cost 400. if it pours rain on a 400 excursion that is alot of money to have it ruined-not to mention not being able to get pictures. i just want this to be a memorable vacation. we got a very good deal or we wouldnt even be going, but from someone who was laid off from both my jobs has had severe medical issues and has at least 15,000 a year in medical bills, to spend this money was a big deal- a trip of a lifetime and i just want it to be memorable and perfect.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Too afraid to jump the gun...what are the odds?

Hawaii rain is nothing like East Coast rain. I grew up in Florida, where "rain" meant something very different from what it means in Hawaii.

In Hawaii, 99% of the time, the rain takes the form of pleasant showers that are part of the islands' charm. Half the people on the beach take cover in the first 15 minutes, half just keep enjoying the beach (unless it persists for a while.) You can often see the clouds clinging to the tops of mountains (that's often true even if it's sunny where you are). And anytime there's a shower there's a good chance you're going to get to see a real Hawaii rainbow.

HOWEVER, yes, I have had whole Hawaii vacations coincide with bad weather. And by bad weather I mean not the usually daily shower but days-long rains.

One was a five-day trip in early December of (Dang. I can't remember the year. Let's say 2008ish). The other was a three-day trip in April 2006.

The weather kept us from lying on the beach -- the sun didn't come out for days. But, frankly, there are a whole lot of other activities it probably wouldn't have affected that much. For example, I would have been perfectly happy to be on a snorkel tour on a catamaran or even hiking somewhere in a windbreaker.

The bummer for us is we were there for sun and lounging.

Still, that's rare. Unless you're getting forecasts for the serious stuff (people here can help you decipher the forecasts), go ahead and book your tours with confidence that you're going to see a lot of sunshine, and you'll also probably get sprinkled on a bit here and there.

Edited: 12 January 2012, 23:33
California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Too afraid to jump the gun...what are the odds?

(Come to think of it, that 2006 trip was in March, if anyone cares.)

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Too afraid to jump the gun...what are the odds?

Let's address another concern, though, and that's the fear that every excursion you want to do will be sold out. If you aren't travelling in peak time, that may not be the case. Once you get to Oahu, you may find that some of the excursions are of greater interest to you than others. In other words, only book what you really know you've GOT to do or else you'll be too disappointed. Many of the tour bus related things can be done on your own with rental car, and many of the excursions don't sell out.

What are you thinking of doing?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Too afraid to jump the gun...what are the odds?

Tell us what activity you have planned that you my have to cancel because of weather, or you may miss out on if it's all booked up. Many times if you book these at the beginning of your stay, if something does come up you will have time to do it at the end.

Just remember this is the rainy season. The local forecast I saw this morning is calling for some rain today and tomorrow and a bit heavier on Sunday and Monday. Then again, in 2 days this could all change.

California
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Too afraid to jump the gun...what are the odds?

What excursions are you planning? I really doubt most things would be booked up this time of year. Maybe you can wing it, see what the weather is and then go for it.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Too afraid to jump the gun...what are the odds?

Remember:

1. You are going on vacation not a business trip that requires a well worked agenda

2. Nothing is perfect! Sometimes the best memories come from the unexpected.

3. "Hang Loose" in Hawaii really means hang loose. If it rains enjoy the rain. If a tour is sold out you may have a better experience doing something else.

4. Don't over plan as you may want down time. The best made plans of mice and tourists.....

5. You can't do everything in one visit.

6. Too much time spent planning may actually result in less fun.

Most important:

Have FUN!