We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location of things on Turtle Bay Resort

Burtonsville...
Level Contributor
223 posts
262 reviews
Save Topic
Location of things on Turtle Bay Resort

My husband and I will be staying 4 nights at Turtle Bay Resort this spring. I was able to find a resort map with trails, part of the golf courses, the buildings and Ola. I was wondering where the other restaurants are located? For example, Hang Ten, Leonardo's, 21 Degrees North?

I see that there are three walking trails - blue, green and red. It looks like they wind through and around the golf course?

Does anyone know if there is a link will a more detailed map of the resort?

Burtonsville...
Level Contributor
223 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location of things on Turtle Bay Resort

Is Hang Ten located in that cove area near Ola?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location of things on Turtle Bay Resort

I don't know the answers to you questions and our Turtle Bay expert hasn't been around the last couple of days. Bumping this up, hoping someone who is in the know will help you!!

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location of things on Turtle Bay Resort

Thanks for bumping, Ms. Fuzz. As far as maps, that is as detailed as it is gong to get. The Hang Ten bar is the bar at the pool. You can sit at the bar or a table and you will be oceanfront with a truly magnificent view. They also now have live music a few times a week, maybe more often now. Leonardo's is located in the lobby floor. That is where they serve their breakfast buffet and dinners.

21 Degrees North is on the lower floor and that is fine dining. You havn't asked about Lei Leis, that is my favorite! It is located across the parking lot on the golf course and has the best food and service plus the best Mai tai on the island. Don't mss it!

On the right side of the resort you have Kulima Bay, which is located in front of Ola's, it is a great snorkeling spot and has a nice beach to lounge. The walk after Kulima Bay is best in the morning to face the sunrise. It is ocean front and gorgeous! The trail on the opposite side leads to the horse stables, more beautiful ocean, the best bay in all of Hawaii and it's a great place to see the sunset. You'll also see the sunset at the pool and bar.

I am proud to be the "Turtle Bay Resort expert". I love it there and go every year. Feel free to ask me any questions you'd like.

P.S.

You can find all of the menus on their website.

Edited: 16 January 2012, 23:23
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,767 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Location of things on Turtle Bay Resort

The two trails I've taken are:

1. Toward Kahuku (to the right facing the ocean) - We walked along the beach & lava most of the time. There were a few stretches where we stayed on the trail.

About 1/2 mile into the hike was a monk seal mother & pup.

Another 1/2 mile to Kahuku Point. Walk out to the point for a good photo-op. You can stop your hike here & go back.

Or you can continue another mile or so (we did) to a point called Pinnacles. It is called pinnacles because of the pinnacle shaped lava that spike into the air. Some of them are 10 feet tall. Very interesting if you have a lot of time on your hands (we did as we were retired & living on Oahu).

2. To the left of Turtle Bay. We walked mostly along the beach & lava. Only took the trail (horse riding trail) occasionally.

It is about 1 mile to Protection Point. There is a military bunker that you can climb up on for a great photo-op.

We walked beyond, maybe another 1/4 mile to Kawela Bay, far enough to see the entire Bay. This is a very scenic location.

Walking along the beach/lava is very interesting. There were small lava pools with small fish (size of a 2 inch minnow) "trapped" in the pools. We thought they were trapped by the surf bringing them in & the surf going out leaving them trapped. That is probably what happened.

But as we watched them, they actually jumped from one pool to the next. They would find a low spot & launch themselves to the next pool. So they really weren't trapped. Most found their way back to the ocean. Others were a feast for the many crabs we saw or for sea birds.

This hike was one of the best we did on Oahu out of 30+ hikes.

We also walked along the entirebeach side of the hotel. Scenic there as well.

We did note that there was an informative sign for Opana Point. This was the radar site that spotted the Japanese planes coming in on December 7, 1941. From the informative sign, you can look up (across Kam Highway) & see the newer radar site on the hill. The sign is very close to the resort. It's on the Kawela Bay side of the resort. Maybe close to the beach cottages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCR-270_radar

turtlebayresort.com/_files/…resort_map.pdf

Burtonsville...
Level Contributor
223 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location of things on Turtle Bay Resort

Thank you msfuzz for bumping this up and to schorestra and dusty for providing me with more details about Turtle Bay Resort.

We look forward to staying there an exploring the many wonderful trails and places you all described above!

Yes, I know about Lei Leis. I did read that it is near the golf course, so we are planning on having lunch there before we play golf at 2 PM (their afternoon deal with cart, clubs and green fees). I am glad that it is your favorite. For dinner, we thought we would stay closer to the resort buildings, water and sunset.

Is the pool on the side of the resort near Ola's or on the other side?

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location of things on Turtle Bay Resort

It's on the other side of the resort, opposite Ola's. You'll have a great time.

Burtonsville...
Level Contributor
223 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Location of things on Turtle Bay Resort

scorchestra - I have a question for you about the restaurants at Turtle Bay. Which restaurant has a better view at sunset - Hang Ten or Ola?

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
681 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Location of things on Turtle Bay Resort

I've read so many negative reviews of the resort but the pictures look beautiful. We aren't too hard to please.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Location of things on Turtle Bay Resort

The best sunset view is from Hang Ten. It is not a restaurant , it is a bar and they sell some food. See the menu on their website.

Sunset is almost a spiritual time at the Turtle Bay. Everyone gathers to see it . It is a beautiful sight! We usually see the sunset then walk to Lei Leis for dinner. Or we see it from the pool while swimming.

The TBR now has music next to the pool on some evenings. It makes the experience very special. I'll try to find out what nights.

Have a great time!

Burtonsville...
Level Contributor
223 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Location of things on Turtle Bay Resort

Thanks scorchestra! Yes, I know Hang Ten is more of a bar. We figure we might eat a lighter dinner there on our first night (we are staying 4 nights) and watch the sunset etc. Due to the time change, we may be a bit tired and don't want to have a huge meal the first night as we will be getting to bed a bit earlier than our other nights there.

I do like the idea of watching the sunset and then walking to Lei Leis (where will eat lunch before our 2 PM golf tee time). Lei Leis looks like it has a more reasonably priced dinner menu (as compared to Ola and 21 Degrees North.) That is a good suggestion!

If I had to chose one of their restaurants not to dine at, what would you say? I am thinking Leonardo's. There menu looks nice, but we can get nice Italian food back home.