We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pearl Harbor Historical Tours

Dallas, Oregon
8 posts
Save Topic
Pearl Harbor Historical Tours

Hello, I'm planning a trip to Oahu, and I really want to take a historical and informational tour of Pearl Harbor, and the surrounding World War II sites. Are there any tour companies one can suggest would be great to book a tour with?

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pearl Harbor Historical Tours

I hope this helps. When you arrive at the Pearl Harbor Visitors Center you will have options of seeing the Arizona, the Bowfin submarine, the Pacific Aviation Museum and the USS Missouri or a mix of these. Guided tours may be available or like the Arizona which has a movie you see first. There are museums at the visitor center and other landmarks you can stroll. All this has been very recently redeveloped and it very beautiful and visitor-friendly. So I guess this is a long way of saying that you don't need to book a tour per se but that types tour options for the various sites will be available once you arrive. You can easily spend a couple days there if you are a history buff. Take your time.

To get to the Pearl Harbor Visitors Center you can drive, take the bus, a taxi (expensive) or shuttle arranged ahead of time.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pearl Harbor Historical Tours

One that gets mentioned quite often in this forum is the Home of the Brave Tour. Here is a link to their FAQ's.

www.pearlharborhq.com/faqs.html

Edited: 18 January 2012, 18:28
Dallas, Oregon
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pearl Harbor Historical Tours

Thank you very much for the information, but I'm curious have you ever heard of this company?

http://www.pearlharboroahu.com/index.htm

It seems to have pretty competitive pricing, and a wider array of places related to World War II than Home of the Brave tours has.

Edited: 18 January 2012, 20:55
Dallas, Oregon
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pearl Harbor Historical Tours

Thank you very much! I think I like the tour option more because I'm able to soak up the knowledge from professionals that have studied the landmarks for years and years. I'm a bit of a history nut, so the more knowledge I can absorb, the more I can take home with me about that morning so many years ago... I've watched dozens of documentaries, but somehow, visiting the sites seems like the right thing to do to really connect with what the place really is.

Edited: 18 January 2012, 20:59
Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pearl Harbor Historical Tours

My only caution about organized tours that include Pearl Harbor instead of going to Pearl Harbor on your own is that they may not give you enough time to soak it all in. There is so much available at Pearl Harbor.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,992 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pearl Harbor Historical Tours

What we really liked about the Home of the Brave tour is that we got to go places that most typical tourists can't go - it was very informative and enjoyable. You could always go back to Pearl Harbor to explore more on your own as well. :)

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,536 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pearl Harbor Historical Tours

"My only caution about organized tours that include Pearl Harbor instead of going to Pearl Harbor on your own is that they may not give you enough time to soak it all in. There is so much available at Pearl Harbor."

My thoughts also.

The Home of the Brave tour would be the one I would have taken if I had chosen a tour.

If you go on a tour like Home of the Brave, it will be narrated & you'll be able to go on a couple more bases that you otherwise cannot go to.

If you go on your own, you can spend as much time at Pearl Harbor as you want. There are 4 museums there, USS Arizona Memorial, USS, Missouri, USS Bowfin and Pacific Aviation Museum.

You can also go to Tropic Thunder Museum at Schofield Barracks on your own (free, but donations accepted).

You can also go to the Army Museum at Ft. DeRussy on your own (free, but donations accepted).

National Cemetery of the Pacific is not a museum, but it is scenic, it has an overlook that overlooks the entire city. It also has some really nice murals right at the memorial. Also free.

Dallas, Oregon
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pearl Harbor Historical Tours

Very Interesting, I do like the idea of seeing the bases that the other tours don't offer.. Of course, I think being the nut I am, I would probably go on both of those tours, plus spend a few hours at The Pearl by myself just to soak it in myself some... I don't know if any of you are familiar with Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum here in Oregon, but I once spent 5 1/2 hours by myself repeatedly circling the aviation museum just soaking in information and the sites.. I'm kind of History OCD :)

One other thing,

Does the Home of the Brave tour by chance cover the area where the Parks Service is storing the super structure remains from The Arizona? or is that strictly a "See it in the documentary" site?

Edited: 18 January 2012, 23:03
Colorado
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pearl Harbor Historical Tours

Personally, if you really want to visit as much as possible, you could go to PH on your own, and then arrange to go to Bowfin, Missouri, and Pacific Aviation Museum right at the area of the USS Arizona Memorial. Your "PH" ticket would include free admission of the movie and launch to the USS Memorial. When visiting the Bowfin, Missouri, and Pacific Aviation Museum (all paid admissions), you could arrange for tours at each of them, given by experts.

If you want to see other sites, then I would suggest that you take the Home of the Brave Tour on another day. It is a full day, including PH (USS Arizona Memorial) Wheeler Army Air Field, Schofield Barracks, and Fort Shafter, all of which were important on 12-07-41. We have done this tour 3 times and I learn new things every time!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,536 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pearl Harbor Historical Tours

I have never seen the location of the superstructure. It is not on any tour that I know of.

There is a walking/bike trail that goes from near the Pearl Harbor Visitors Center to Waipahu.

I've walked the entire length (about 10 miles) in parts, about 1/3 each time. I did not see anything that resembled a supersrtucture from a naval ship.

But I did not know about a "secret location" for the superstructure from USS Arizona and did not look for it.

tommcmahon.net/2008/11/the-sacred-rusting-re…