We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip To Kauai from Oahu?

Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
27 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip To Kauai from Oahu?

I have been to Oahu before and also Maui so time to taste Kauai

would it be best to do this through a tour company or maybe do it independantly and rent a car?

If the latter, can anyone suggest a good place to get some road trip maps / routes and must see suggestions?

I may stay overnight to enable me to see more, so any good locations to book a hotel(pref high end spec) would be helpful

Mahalo!

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip To Kauai from Oahu?

All car rental companies have pretty good free maps.

There is only one main road that goes almost all around the island.

If you are limiting yourself to a one day drive then I would suggest just

going to Waimea Canyon and the Kalalau lookout. If it's all day then

you may want to wind around counter clockwise to the North shore and

stop at Wailua falls,Opeakea falls and the Kilauea lighthouse( Wildlife refuge)

If staying longer I would suggest an air tour or in summer a Na' Pali coast tour.

Overland Park...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip To Kauai from Oahu?

We've been to Kauai twice and it is amazing! If you get the Kauai revealed book it will tell you all the good stuff--no need for a tour company. Just rent a car--and the book will tell you how to see all the best stuff. The hard part is doing it all. We spent 4 days in Poipu and then 2 years later went back and stayed a week in Princeville. My favorite island--need to go back!!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,618 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip To Kauai from Oahu?

You can easily do Kaua`i on your own. A couple of days would be better than a day trip, though.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,908 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip To Kauai from Oahu?

perhaps save it for another trip, or at LEAST make it an overnighter.... even if you took the earliest inter island to kauai, and the latest one out, you'll be cramming wayyyyy too much into 1 day....and selling yourself short.... i'd say ditch that plan....

if you do an overnighter, still take the earliest flight out and the last flight back the next day.... definitely hire a car..... i would say the must-sees in this scenario would be one day go to wiamea canyon and kalalau lookout as mentioned, with a stop at the blowhole along the way.... and, time permitting, a side trip to polihale state park is worth seeing... the other day, drive around north to the the na pali coast trailhead (maybe even hike in for an hour or 2) and stopping at the kilauea lighthouse along the way back to lihue..... stay in/near lihue as it's about the halfway point between the north and south sights, plus it's near the airport....

i recommend getting the kauai revealed book as it has some great maps and descriptions of the sites/sights....

re lodging, we stayed at the marriott at coconut beach... it was pretty nice---see my review....

again, do yourself a favor---stay overnight!!!!!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,210 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip To Kauai from Oahu?

Arg, Kauai deserves so much more. Spend a few days (I would pass on the "Revealed" book and use Lonely Planet), definitely rent a car. If high end accommodations are what you want, it doesn't get much better than the St. Regis, but when are you coming?

Edited: 01 February 2012, 06:45
6. Re: Day trip To Kauai from Oahu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2013, 10:23