We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fussy DH and eating out

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
51 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
fussy DH and eating out

Hi guys what would be recommended for dining options in Waikiki area that would be closest to what we eat in Australia. Have been looking at some photos sent in by people and my DH is worried about starving lol. Also as we are not big eaters is it accepted to share one meal because the meals appear to be so large there?

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
24,781 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: fussy DH and eating out

Aloha,

I have never been to OZ.

The Islands has so much food options.

What kind of food do you enjoy in Oz. Maybe we can help

Aloha

Coronado, California
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: fussy DH and eating out

What do you eat in Oz that you can't get in Oahu? Joey?

Have him bring two jars of vegemite and smear it on everything and he'll never know the difference no matter what he eats.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: fussy DH and eating out

Many of the nicer restaurants in the USA charge a sharing charge. However, casual restaurants and food courts don't.

I never have a problem with the cuisine in Australia and I have visited your country numerous times.

I hope your husband finds food acceptable to his taste and stomach.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fussy DH and eating out

We don't know what you eat in Australia, other than shrimp on the Barbie! :) Tell us what is normal for you, and we can suggest restaurants that have the food you like.

Cheesecake Factory seems to be popular, have you checked their menu? Do you like fish, steak, hamburgers?

We'd like to help.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fussy DH and eating out

I would say Cheesecake Factory. They have, pretty much every type of food, at Cheesecake Factory. :)

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fussy DH and eating out

If you're staying in Waikiki, go to the food court in Ala Moana Shopping Center. They have something for everyone, and you'll have the chance to try something different than you'd get at home, including Hawaiian food.

Most sit-down restaurants have a variety of food available, and probably something he will like. The menus are usually online and also in front, so you can decide ahead of time. We often share plates, or get 2 appetizers, because sometimes the servings are too big. The only places to avoid for a picky eater would be the restaurants with a particular cuisine, like Thai or Japanese, unless he happens to like them!

I personally wouldn't do the Cheesecake Factory, as the wait is always too long, the servings too large and the food is over-the-top high calorie.

I'm sure he'd enjoy Duke's, which is right on the beach and has a variety of food to offer, as well as a good bar. There's also Cheeseburgers in Waikiki. I'm hoping you can find some places that he can enjoy but where you can also experience some great local flavors, as that is one of my favorite things about visiting the islands!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,433 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fussy DH and eating out

There's always the Outback Steakhouse!! :-)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,924 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fussy DH and eating out

I was just thinking the same thing mamma!! If the Aussie cuisine is anything like the Outback, there should be no problem with finding great places to eat!!

9. Re: fussy DH and eating out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2013, 10:18