We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you sell me on Oahu???

Dubbo, Australia
Level Contributor
362 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Can you sell me on Oahu???

Hi Everyone,

My hubby and I are coming to Hawaii in Sept/Oct with our 18 month old son. We will be there for 16 days (but that includes the day we arrive and depart). We are coming from Australia so we have to fly through Oahu. Our plan had been to spend just 3 nights on Oahu to recover from jet lag and help our son adjust to the time zone before moving onto the big island and/or Kauai.

However, I have been debating over whether or not this is too rushed and as a result one option I have is to spend more time on Oahu and then only go to one other island. I have to be honest I haven't done much research on Oahu as I was deterred thinking it was crowded, busy and very commercial. SO, I am wondering what else there is too Oahu once you get away from the hustle and bustle of Waikaki. I guess our interests are being outdoors. In past trips (pre-kids) we enjoyed hiking, snorkelling, biking etc but obviously there will be less of all that this trip. Our attraction to the Big Island was the Volcano NP and our attraction to Kauai was the natural scenary.

THANKS in advance for any advice.

Marita

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,636 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you sell me on Oahu???

I really feel that the best way to utilise your time in the islands would be to fly into Oahu, then bounce directly to Hawaii, then back to Kauai, then finish on Oahu. This is because you'll be leaving from Oahu and it would be less time wasted in airports. I think at least 4 days would be minimum on Oahu. The first day will usually be a wipe-out anyway, so why not utilise it for airport shuffling? 24 hours and you'll be in sync with the time zone. It's just the irritation of broken sleep on the overnight flight that knocks you. By the time you get to Hawaii, you're only shifting 3 hours of perceived time.

Don't rule out the beauty of Oahu so quickly. It IS the highest density of population on the islands, but once out of Waikiki, there's a lot of natural beauty to see. Pali Lookout, Byodo Temple, Windward Side, Hanauma Bay, Sunset Beach, Wiamea Bay, the list goes on. There's a good deal of historical sites on Oahu that will give you a greater insight into the island culture as well.

If you enjoy hiking, check out this website that features a lot of Oahu hikes of every grade. Everything from strolling beaches to hiking mountains. Most of the stuff is featured as free activity (maybe a parking fee). Sift through it and you'll enjoy the videos.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,807 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you sell me on Oahu???

Harley, did you forget the link?

There is more to see & do on Oahu than any other island.

Oahu has more beaches than any other island & many of the state's best beaches.

Oahu has the best dining, the best shopping & the most museums.

There are more things to do for kids on Oahu. Honolulu Zoo, Waikiki Aquarium, Byodo-In Temple.

Read the Top Questions on the right. Driving tours, websites, maps, etc.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you sell me on Oahu???

I could spend weeks vacationing on Oahu and never get bored.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,152 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you sell me on Oahu???

We spend weeks vacationing on Oahu and never get bored !!! LOL

We have been to Maui and Kauai several times each but now we choose to go only to Oahu for a couple of weeks at a time at least once if not twice a year.

But, we like the shopping, the restaurants, the convenience and we absolutely love Waikiki Beach itself.

But, it's not for everyone.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,304 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you sell me on Oahu???

I responded on your other post.

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you sell me on Oahu???

Do you really want to be coerced? Oahu is amazing ... and you are an Aussie friend so of course shopping in on your agenda. It doesn't get any better than Honolulu!

Most of Oahu is rural. Beautiful, beautiful beaches.

rhode island
Level Contributor
808 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you sell me on Oahu???

Oahu is amazaing, not just all hustle and bustle, although that is a big part of Waikiki. Tantalus Drive, Pali Lookout, the North Shore to name but a few. You have Pearl Harbor, Iolani Palace, China Town.

We are not city people by any means, and I remember our first trip to Oahu years ago and landing in Honolulu. I was just a tad disappointed by all the big buildings. Looked like NYC with palm trees! Once I started to discover the island, I loved all that it had to offer. Waikiki is a wonderful place with great restaurants and shopping, but there are less secluded areas if that's what you're looking for. Give it a chance. We usually do 2 islands every trip, and one of them is usually Oahu.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you sell me on Oahu???

Hope you don't mind me asking a question.. I"m trying to plan my trip next year and my kids will be 13 and almost 10. We want to go to two islands.. and I think one is the Big Island. If we choose Oahu for our second.. and we base in Waikki, is it far to always be driving out to the other areas with beaches? Thank you

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you sell me on Oahu???

What do you mean by far? There are beaches all over Oahu. Some are closer to Waikiki than others. For any of them, I'd say an hour max with good traffic. Others are closer - 25 minutes, maybe. Then there is Ala Moana ... right next door.

Get a good map like from AAA - and remember that you will be seeing some amazing sights between Waikiki and the beach of your choice.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,807 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you sell me on Oahu???

"If we choose Oahu for our second.. and we base in Waikki, is it far to always be driving out to the other areas with beaches? Thank you"

You will never be more than an hour & 15 minutes from Waikiki even at the farthest point away.

So Waikiki is a good place to stay.

From Waikiki:

Ala Moana Beach & Magic Island 5 minutes

Hanauma Bay 20 minutes

Sandy Beach & nearby Makapuu Beach 25 minutes

Waimanalo Bay Recreation Area 30 minutes

Kailua Beach & nearby Lanikai Beach 30 minutes

Kualoa Regional Park 35 minutes

North Shore beaches 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes

Read the Top Questions on the right side of the page. Driving tours, websites, maps, North Shore, etc.

Order the free travel planners for Hawaii & each of the islands:

1-800-GOHAWAII