We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calm Beaches

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Calm Beaches

Any advice on calm beaches for swimming (other than Waikiki). This will be our third trip and so far have found the beaches we've visited have what I call a severe "drop off" which pulls you off your feet.

It may be just the time of year we've been visiting (April, May, June).

We're two 60(ish) year old ladies who aren't great swimmers, but love the ocean.

Even Ko'olina kept dragging me and my 3 year old grandson off our feet last time.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,972 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Calm Beaches

Ala Moana Beach Park is the most protected in the State...

A man-made strand just outside Waikiki with a large outlying reef system that prevents all inside wave action.

It is always calm. So there is no "undertow" that you experienced elsewhere.

And it is where Honolulu families take their toddlers to play in the water.

Very gentle entry slope with a mostly sandy bottom. Like being in a lake.

I reccomend going towards the last lifeguard stand on the Downtown side of the mile-long beach.

Totally sandy bottom, easy to park nearby, with close showers, restrooms and changing facilities.

Plus it is a wonderfully beautiful park, one of the worlds best urban beaches, with vast lawns and huge trees.

Edited: 06 March 2012, 14:13
Mentioned in this post
Oahu, HI
Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,933 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calm Beaches

Another vote for Ala Moana Beach Park.

Added bonus is Ala Moana Shopping Center is right across the street and Ward Shopping Complex is across the street just a couple of blocks towards downtown.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calm Beaches

If you want to take drive to a quieter section of the island, head to Kahana Bay. No waves whatsoever and a pretty setting. Very few tourists there. You can combine it with a trip to the north shore or stop at the Crouching Lion Inn for lunch.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calm Beaches

Thanks for your responses everyone.

I guess I was looking more for a beach away from the City, but Ala Moana will be a great retreat after a day's shopping at Ala Moana!

It sounds like the Kahana Bay suggestion is a winner. Will do a bit of research on the local area before our trip. Crouching Lion Inn sounds good to me!

We're considering hiring a car this trip, so we can take our time and stay as long as we like - instead of having to climb back onboard a bus. I'm a bit nervous about driving on the "wrong" side of the road, but imagine a good GPS will remind me if I stray into on-coming traffic! From previous visits, the most dangerous traffic obstacle will be roundabouts and exiting car parks. I saw a couple of very nasty accidents when drivers turned out into the left lane instead of the right!

Its a pity there are no driving simulators to practice on before we arrive - just to get my brain in US mode.

5. Re: Calm Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 13:40