We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where would you go, sunset, dinner, with family Waikiki area

new york, ny
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where would you go, sunset, dinner, with family Waikiki area

Where would you go for your "nice night out" with the family for dinner. Kids are young teens. Most days we will do lunch and casual and really casual for dinner. but one night want to get a bit dressy and head out to dinner. preferaby with views. I know we will be hanging a bunch during week during day at Duke's, and the places on beaches near Beachwalk.......so for this night out i want to pick some place different. maybe take a cab if need be. but somewhere in the waikiki area or near it. thoughts?

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where would you go, sunset, dinner, with family Waikiki area

What's your budget? You could go upstairs of Duke's to Hula Grill. The Shore Bird isn't really dressy, but, it's fun for a family and on the beach (cook your own steaks/seafood). You can go upscale to Orchids at the Halekulani. Very nice, very good food, can get very expensive for the entire family.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where would you go, sunset, dinner, with family Waikiki area

As Kailuabred says-what's your budget-in the top end, Michel's, LaMer, Orchids, Beach House, and Hula Grill, Duke's, House Without a Key in the more "moderate" price range.

We were there little over a week ago, saw the most gorgeous sunsets-have a ton of pictures!

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,512 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where would you go, sunset, dinner, with family Waikiki area

Also Chuck's Steakhouse in the Outrigger Waikiki. If you go early you can get the early bird specials and a great seat right on the rail with great views.

Little bit upscale but not overly dressy. Some things are better than the steaks to me. My favorite is their grilled Teriyaki Chicken breasts. Its a full breast not half like normal and plenty for 2 people to eat.

Also, we love to go to Shorebirds and cook our own steak, chickens, burgers, etc. at the grill right next to the beach. Be sure to find the coupons for 50% off on the second entree and it's pretty darn cheap to feed 4 people there. An all you can eat salad bar and good steaks. Get there a little early and get a table right next to the beach but don't sit too close to the grill. It really puts out some heat !!

Have a great time !!

Aloha

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,611 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where would you go, sunset, dinner, with family Waikiki area

One of the nicest places to view the sunset is from Magic Island at Ala Moana Beach Park.

Take a picnic lunch and watch the sunset from there.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,095 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where would you go, sunset, dinner, with family Waikiki area

The Hau Tree Lanai at the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel or Orchids at the Halekulani.

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where would you go, sunset, dinner, with family Waikiki area

Hau Tree Lanai. Bring your camera!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
19,024 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where would you go, sunset, dinner, with family Waikiki area

Top of Waikiki is a good place for family and sunsets. They'll take a nice picture of your table when the restaurant revolves to the ocean side. You'll have to pay for it, but memories!

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where would you go, sunset, dinner, with family Waikiki area

Similarly, I was going to mention the restaurant at the top of the Ililkai- I can't remember the name, but it had great Italian food, and on one side looks out over Magic Island and the west side of the island, so it has great sunset views. Also, a glass elevator that takes you straight to the top that also has great views!

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where would you go, sunset, dinner, with family Waikiki area

One more suggestion, for one of your casual nights. One of our traditions is to get a bag of coals and some meat to grill and head to the park right next to the beach at Ft. DeRussy where there are picnic tables and grills. Then we grill our dinner while watching the sunset. The Barefoot Bar is nearby, too, for some libations, and you don't have to be military to go there!

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where would you go, sunset, dinner, with family Waikiki area

MacJack, the name of the restaurant atop the Ilikai is called Sarento's Top of the I.

Beautiful views!