We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaii alone?

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
44 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaii alone?

I'm a 24 year old female going to hawaii for a week alone worried I'll get bored by myself.. any suggestions on things to do/see/eat/stay? Any tips also. I will be renting a car and staying at turtle bay and then in waikiki for two nights but not sure where yet

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaii alone?

Bored in Hawaii? Really? Well, since no one here knows you, that question really can't be answered. However, if you look at the top/right and top/left of this page you'll find links for all sorts of information about " things to do/see/eat/stay? Any tips also". Another thing you can do is go to a book store and get a tourist book on Oahu and do some reading. Good Luck. Chuck...

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaii alone?

Shopping, art museums, history, surf lessons, people watching. It's all good.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,796 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaii alone?

When are you going to Oahu? And what kind of activities interest you? What do you want to do? Relax on the beach? See the entire island? Honolulu has a lot to offer...cultural sites, historical sites, and shopping.

I'd suggest as BlackBelt said, you do some extensive research on those links. Also, I think you should purchase a travel guide, and decide on what kind of Island agenda (packed or relaxed) you desire.

Too bad Mr. Caddy can't travel with you JS515. Boredom would be a thing of the past. :)

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaii alone?

Maybe staying in Waikiki would be a better idea since you will have a car... and do day trips around the island.

The North Shore and Turtle Bay Resort is beautiful but if I were traveling alone, I think I might feel a bit "lonelier" over there. There is so much more to do in the Waikiki area and you can walk around in the evenings... more restaurant choices too :)

Maybe 2 nights on the North Shore...

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,765 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaii alone?

I agree with HawaiiGirl08. Unless you want to be left totally alone, I would never go to Oahu alone and stay at Turtle Bay. If you are looking to socialize then Waikiki is the place for you.

There are lots and lots of single people there, although not necessarily alone. There is a little place there called Pearl Harbor and it is well stocked with lots and lots of SAILORS !! You know about sailors don't you ?? !! They run all over the place and should not be hard to spot.

Duke's seems to be a place where lots of the younger and single crowd seems to congregate and the bar there is always lively and pretty much of a party. I'm sure you will easily meet up with some other young ladies who will be fun to pal around with as well.

Actually I wish I was 24 and single again and I know I'd love to be in Waikiki. When I was 24 i was too stupid and too broke to ever even consider Hawaii.

You will have a great trip, but I might reconsider the Turtle Bay decision.

Edited: 16 March 2012, 18:47
laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaii alone?

Switch to waikiki, I would do a sunset sail, surf lessons and an outrigger canoe ride. Eat at the hotel bars on the water. Waikiki is great for solos, everyone is very freindly and open to meeting new people.

www.alohabeachservices.com www.nahokuii.com

Edited: 16 March 2012, 20:16
Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,796 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaii alone?

I agree completely with HG08, placebets, and longboard on the locale recommendations. But dear OP get back with us on some travel details please.

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaii alone?

I would stay in Waikiki the whole time. You can romp at will. Take a day trip to Turtle Bay.

I've traveled alone to Oahu a few times - and was always more than busy. Always too little time. It's nice to have some "girl time" ...

Send me a PM with your interests if you want some specific ideas. I assume that this is your first trip??

When I long for "alone time," Oahu is the first place I think of.

Edited: 16 March 2012, 21:39
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
44 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaii alone?

Thanks everyone. I will be staying at Turtle Bay for work. The rest of my vacation I will stay in Waikiki. I'm more interested in beachs. I didnt really have any desire to go to pearl harbor but I may have to check out the saliors now. What are some good bars with good food in Waikiki? I'd like to hike but i read that its not a good idea to do it alone. Any advice about hiking diamond head alone?

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,765 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaii alone?

Hiking Diamond Head alone is no problem. It will just be you and a couple hundred of your closest friends !! LOL There are always lots of people doing it and you will probably meet some other really nice people.

I think the most popular meeting place on Waikiki has to be Duke's. It is always full of people and I think many are singles and looking to meet others too.