We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Shore character

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
270 posts
1 review
Save Topic
North Shore character

Aloha!

I'm going to be on Oahu in May for 10 days. First half in Waikiki, the rest on the North shore. I spent three days on Oahu a few years ago, all in Waikiki, and only drove through the North shore briefly, when I took a flight with Paradise Air (amazing experience!) I didn't really get a good feel for the character of the various communities then. I usually go to Kauai, where my favorite spot is Hanalei.

So what is your favorite area to stay on the North shore, and why? If you know Hanalei, which area most closely resembles it on Oahu?

Mahalo!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,933 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Shore character

Hanalei is so unique, I don't think any place in the world closely resembles it!! That said, my favorite area of the north shore would be Pupukea. Basically between Waimea Bay and Sunset Beach. Why? It's where my favorite snorkeling spots are!!

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
270 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: North Shore character

Thanks, msfuzz. Any particular condo you favor? You can PM me if you don't want to give it too much publicity. ;-)

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,375 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: North Shore character

The entire North Shore is unique.

Best Polynesian entertainment in Hawaii at PCC.

Shrimp trucks in & near Kahuku.

Turtle Bay Resort - really scenic with a couple of nice beach walks, one in each direction. And you don't have to stay there to enjoy them for free.

Several road stands with fresh fruit & veggies.

Scenic beaches, many of them world class surf locations.

Pupukea is scenic with lava fields & great snorkeling in the area.

A heiau just above Pupukea with a short hike to a scenic lookout that overlooks Waimea Bay to Pupukea.

A 4-mile bike/jogging path near the beach.

Waimea Bay is one of the most scenic beaches in Hawaii.

Waimea Valley, right across the road. Nice botanical garden with a waterfall.

Laniakea Beach, aka Turtle Beach, where one can watch huge honu (sea turtles)

Many papaya & banana farms along the way.

Haleiwa - fairly small town. Good for shopping, restaurants, beaches, surf museum.

Can often see whales from many places on the North Shore in the winter.

The hike to Kaena Point is nice. Can see whales in the winter, Albatross & monk seals at the point.

I know you asked for a particular place like Hanalei to stay.

While North Shore may not have a place like Hanalei, Pupukea is nice. It is in the center of the North Shore.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,933 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Shore character

Since I live here, I don't know much about the accommodations on the north shore. Sorry!!

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,255 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Shore character

Haleiwa reminds me a lot of Hanlalei. It's a small town with lots of great shops, art galleries and great food. My favorite place to stay is at the Turtle Bay Resort. It is my favorite spot in the world. Every year we go to Kauai and Oahu.

If you love the North Shore in Kauai, then you will love the Windward side and North shore of Oahu. They are very green, lush and scenic. I would advise not to go there to replicate Hanalei, but to experience the uniqueness of Oahu.

6. Re: North Shore character

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 09:17