We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking at choices

Billings, Montana
10 posts
Save Topic
Looking at choices

My husband and are going to Hawaii in April. Last minute trip.

Help!

Should we do the new Disney Hotel or the JW Marriott?

On the big island we are considering the Four Seasons and a B&B in Volcano. We want the best as I'm not a regular fan of B&B's but it sounds nice there.

Can we do all this in a two week trip?

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking at choices

Many on this forum will say that yes you can do two islands in two weeks. You will lose a little time island hopping, but it is doable. I can't speak to the hotels, as I have never stayed at either one. Just know that the Aulani is about an hour away from Waikiki. A big attraction for families, so there will be a lot of kids, if you don't mind that, and you are looking to be away from the city then that would be one location. Turtle Bay on the North Shore is about 45 minutes away and very nice if you are looking to be outside the city where it is quieter.

Edited: 24 March 2012, 19:11
Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking at choices

**Should we do the new Disney Hotel or the JW Marriott?** I would advise NEITHER. Ko'Olina is very isolated and a good hour from Waikiki. Not much aside from the beach to do, and very, very few restaurants. Unless you have been to Oahu several times and just want to sit and soak - I highly recommend that you stay somewhere else. You will find yourself driving into Honolulu or other parts of the Island - and that gets to be a drag. You do realize that you need a car ... yes?

You can do a day trip to Volcanoes National Park from Honolulu if you want, and just stay at the Four Seasons on the Big Island. Again, I am concerned that if this is your first trip ... that you will find enough to engage you.

Yes, you do have time to visit two islands, but count your nights as you hotel/s will. Are you ready to make these decisions? I know you need to move quickly. Make sure to reserve your cars in advance.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,357 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking at choices

I think it depends on what you want to do on Oahu.

If sightseeing and great dining are two things that are important to you, Ko'Olina is the wrong place.

If you just want a place to lie by the pool for a week, maybe see one or two sights and dining in the hotel is okay with you then Ko'Olina is fine.

If you are a big Disney fan Aulani would be fun. If you just want luxury, JW might be better.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking at choices

Two weeks is enough time to do 3 islands, so 2 will be easy.

I like the JW if you are a couple.

The 4S is always a treat.

In Volcano my favorite is Volcano Village Lodge.

In all 3 cases read the TA reviews and I think it will help you..

Have a fun trip!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking at choices

I would definately stay in the Waikiki area of Oahu.

We did the bed and breakfast thing in Volcano and it was fine. Not fabulous. Plus it is a different climate up there and it felt pretty cold.

Billings, Montana
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking at choices

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Here are my choices:

Oahu - JW Marriott

Big Island West Side - Four Seasons

Big Island Volcano - Volcano Village Lodge

I will give a trip report when we get back.

7. Re: Looking at choices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 10:40