We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An Update of Sorts on Southwest Flights

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Topic
An Update of Sorts on Southwest Flights

travelweekly.com/Travel-News/…

Well, the buzz has been that SWA was gung-ho and making plans to fly to Hawaii. This sounds like the planning process has really slowed down ...

Others have inside information??

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An Update of Sorts on Southwest Flights

The air routes to Hawaii are not lucrative due to popularity of frequent flyer miles redemptions. No doubt Southwest would experience the same. Unless the airline established some sort of first class seating, I can imagine people would fly Southwest only out of desperation or desire to pinch old Abe until he squeals. Flame me if you must, but I only fly Southwest when the only other alternative is walking.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
595 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An Update of Sorts on Southwest Flights

I like SW, like their policy of changing flights or price without penalty, and no one-way penalty, free check-in luggage. And their early reservation low prices - how can you not like them :)

Of course we always compare schedules and prices, but often use SW. We never pay for first class seating with cash or miles, and don't pay for early check-in.

Hopefully SW will start flying to HNL before our trip...

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: An Update of Sorts on Southwest Flights

I have traveled SWA up and down California, and the West Coast in general, more times than I can count. Fine for short hops. And for a quick trip to Las Vegas. I truly doubt that we would use their service to Hawaii (should it be offered) as our freebies (as you mention, RockyTop, are with Hawaiian Airlines.

IMHO, I think that SWA would need to change its freebies policy, seating regimen, cancellation policies and other protocols for flights to Hawaii.

Edited: 26 March 2012, 17:57
laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An Update of Sorts on Southwest Flights

Never made a lot of sense, if they were going to do west coast like alaska, they would have to make a lot of changes, things like reserved seats and meal service. And the truth is that flight is not that profitable. they can do several flights to vegas in the time they do one to hawaii. Like it or not Hawiiian Airline has built a fortress around their territury, beautiful new wide bodies and great service. Hard to compete with

5. Re: An Update of Sorts on Southwest Flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2013, 09:22