We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at the JW Marriott, Do We Need A Car?

Billings, Montana
10 posts
Save Topic
Staying at the JW Marriott, Do We Need A Car?

Others who have stayed at the JW, do you think we need a car? Or, are there enough activities to keep us busy so we don't have to leave the property?

We are getting a car on the BI and would really enjoy going to the hotel and not doing anything other than relaxing on Oahu. I'm interested in hearing from people who have stayed at the JW before as to if we will be happy not leaving the property?

We decided against Waikiki because we want some seclusion and peace and quiet. Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks TA people for all your information so far.

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at the JW Marriott, Do We Need A Car?

I recall your earlier posts. Remember - you will be quite isolated with few options for restaurants or activities. Perhaps wander around Aulani ...

Oahu is SO gorgeous - it's a shame that you don't want to explore ... drive around the island or such. But your stay is a short one. So do the math: If it is cheaper to take a shuttle back and forth from the airport to Ko'olina -- then do that. If the only reason you want a car is for airport transportation, I would skip it -- and the cost of parking at the Marriott may be your deciding factor.

If you decide that you need to break out of the Marriott after a few days, I pretty sure that you can rent a car for the day from the resort.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at the JW Marriott, Do We Need A Car?

I haven't stayed there. But I've visited the lagoons there. (Lovely, by the way. Very nice place to hang out, splash around.)

So you if you're in a lie-around-and-do-nothing mode (my favorite) I SUPPOSE you could enjoy a up to two days there without a car. But because you mentioned "activities" that leads me to believe you want to do a little more there than just flop around.

So I agree w/Alias. The area is isolated. And even if you don't plan to explore the amazing island that is Oahu, wouldn't you like the option of jumping in the car and going to a restaurant/beach/waterfall/hike/shops rather than feel stuck?

If you're going to spend more than a day and a half there, and if money isn't super-tight, I'd just get the car. And I would consider it a worthwhile expenditure even if I didn't use it.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at the JW Marriott, Do We Need A Car?

If you don't want to explore the island and just want to hang at the hotel, I question why you want to spend that kind of money by traveling to the islands. I'm not trying to be a smart a$$...really. It just seems a waste of money to come to Hawaii and never leave your hotel. I guess that's probably what JW Marriott prefers, but you'll be missing out on an island that has arguably the best beaches in all of Hawaii.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,684 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at the JW Marriott, Do We Need A Car?

KailuaBred - because it is cheaper to go to Hawaii and stay there than staying at the Westin Stonebriar !!!! LOL

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,005 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at the JW Marriott, Do We Need A Car?

I suppose it depends on what you have done in Hawaii before. I have done every and any thing possible (or at least anything I want) as a tourist on Oahu, so if I wanted a to go some place to just chill the JW would be great, although even then I'd get a car because I'd be going into Waikiki, Kaimuki and Chinatown to eat dinner.

If you have never seen Oahu and over priced average hotel food is okay, then I'd say you don't need a car.

If someone was coming to Billings for a week and wanted to know if they needed a car or not since they were staying at the Kelly Inn and all they wanted to do was chill by the pool, would you recommend they get one?

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at the JW Marriott, Do We Need A Car?

Yes. We stayed at JW in 06 and just got back from Ko Olina Marriott last week. From experience by the 3rd or 4th day you will wish you had a car to go do some sight seeing even if Not to Wiakiki. The North Shore is a relaxing drive and beautiful. The restaurant at JW is good better than Disney from what I have been told. Definitely better than Marriott Beach club.....ugh. Roy's is a short stroll across and down the street....great place, but that is it. No other places to eat without a car. ABC store is across the street which is where we recommend you get beach stuff.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,185 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at the JW Marriott, Do We Need A Car?

Rent a car.

Billings, Montana
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at the JW Marriott, Do We Need A Car?

Thank you for your input. I'm going for a limo transfer. I decided that we will stay on property and relax.

9. Re: Staying at the JW Marriott, Do We Need A Car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 01:17