We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

King Kamehameha Day

Sydney
Level Contributor
164 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
King Kamehameha Day

Hi,

We will be staying at the Ala Moana Hotel, June 4 - 17. This is our 5th trip, but our first in June.

Can anyone please tell me about King Kamehameha Day? We would be very interested in attending any festivities. We will have a car and are happy to drive anywhere on the Island.

Many thanks for any help,

Ele

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,489 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: King Kamehameha Day

Aloha,

June is a great time to visit Oahu. The weather is fine and a lot to do.

The King Kamehameha festivities start on the 8th with the special Lei-Draping ceremony .

King Kamehameha's statue , in front of the Federal Building and across the street from the Iolani Palace will be draped with 30 ft. long Lei

http://www.google.com/search?q=king+kamehameha+lei+ceremony+pictures&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=sDx9T5GrG8KUiQKOrpmIDg&sqi=2&ved=0CCUQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=685

The Parade will start at the Iolani Palace and end go down Ala Moana Blvd. to Kalakaua Ave. and end at Kapiolani Park in Waikiki.

The Parade starts at 9 a.m.

http://hawaii.gov/dags/kamehameha

You can walk to Ala Moana Blvd to watch them go by, go early for a good seat. Ala Moana Park is a good place to go

After the Parade, a Ho'olaulea will be going on at Kapiolani Park.

Hula, Music, food, crafts and fun.

Here are some pic's from last year

pbase.com/hawaiianonline/…all

Catch the Parade at Ala Moana Beach Park, and you can jump in your car and check out the Ho'olaulea at Kapiolani Park.

If you really want to get into it you can head to the Iolani Palace at around 8 am and watch it from there.

A great time, for sure

Aloha

Edited: 05 April 2012, 07:34
Sydney
Level Contributor
164 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: King Kamehameha Day

Thankyou so much for your quick and very helpful reply.

I am very excited now and can't wait to check it all out.

Thanks again! :)

Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: King Kamehameha Day

We will be there that time too. Looking forward to the local celebrations. Thanks....very informative!!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,556 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: King Kamehameha Day

My favorite aspect of Kam Day celebrations....

Is to visit the statue Downtown in the evening following the lei ceremony.

The fragrances are intoxicating.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: King Kamehameha Day

I haven't even gone on our trip this year, but can't wait until next year as we will be at the Ilikai for the month of June. Always wanted to see this festival.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,489 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: King Kamehameha Day

Aloha,

For those that will watch the parade at Iolani Palace.

Kawaiaha'o Church will have their annual Kamehameha Day craft fair

http://www.kawaiahao.org/

Enjoy the day,

Aloha

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
118 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: King Kamehameha Day

I just want to confirm the schedule of celebrations in Honolulu...

It seems that King Kamehameha Day holiday is on Monday 11th June but that in Honolulu, the lei ceremony and the parade are held on the 8th and 9th June. Am I reading the government site correctly? Also, is there a Hula competition?

I would like to know if there is anything scheduled for Honolulu (or on the Island) on Monday 11th June, on the actual holiday?

Also, Will the shops and museums be open?

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,489 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: King Kamehameha Day

Aloha,

Yes, the dates are correct.

We have had the Hula competition in the past, no info yet. Maybe not this year.

City and state services will be on holiday

The rest of Oahu is business as usual,

The Bishop Museum is closed on tues.

Here is some nice pic's

www.pbase.com/aukipa/kingkamehameha&page=all

Aloha

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
40 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: King Kamehameha Day

Are any of the local television stations going to broadcast the parade over the internet? I've seen it many times before in person, but this year I'm not there and would still love to see it. Mahalo!!

10. Re: King Kamehameha Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 06:17