We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Shore Itinerary Questions

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
North Shore Itinerary Questions

I'm staying in Waikiki and I'm planning our North Shore Itinerary. Basically, the 3 things at the North Shore we want to do are see the turtles at Laniakea Beach, try the Shrimp at a Shrimp Truck and then go to Polynesian Cultural Center. We rented a car and will be driving. So I'm trying to guage the best times to do all 3. I figure we'd get to Turtle Beach by 9 and see the turtles. Leave around 10 or 11, and go to towards Kohuku and find a Shrimp truck, then around 11 or 12 get to PCC. How does this all sound?

Can we see turtles at Laniakea Beach in the morning around 9 or 10?

Should we get to PCC at Noon like the website suggests? Or should get there a little later since we'll be staying for the Luau and the Night Show.

What's a good schedule to fit all that with a Shrimp Truck in between?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Shore Itinerary Questions

The nicer drive would be to drive counter-clockwise along the windward coast to the north shore. The other route, via Dole Plantation, is mostly high way and rural fields until you hit the coast.

The turtles at Laniakea beach are more likely to be out in the afternoon. Also, note that this beach is unmarked. It is about 5 minutes east of Haleiwa and the parking is in a long strip across the road from the beach - there is usually a small crowd looking at the turtles and this beach is a bit rocky.

The shrimp trucks are another 15-20 minutes east of Lanikea beach - they start with Fumi's, then Romy's, then Giovanni's (Macky's is at the west entrance of Haleiwa) which is more in the 'town' part of Kahuku.

PCC is another 10 minutes east of the shrimp trucks.

You could start early and drive along the windward coast and then work your way back to PCC.

If you want to see all the villages, you would need to get there by 1 latest. It depends on your level of interest. Note that the presentations, canoe pageant, and the evening show have some overlap with the music and dances. We arrived at noon and went at full pace until 5 and still did not see everything . I think the last presentation is at 5:30. You will have a gap to shop between your luau/dinner and the evening show.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,046 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: North Shore Itinerary Questions

My #1 tip to see Oahu is to rent a car the entire time.

Do the North Shore on a separate day than PCC.

As singer points out, it is best to get to PCC early to be able to see most of the villages & the turtles at Laniakea are best seen in the afternoon.

North Shore is much better if you can spend some quality time at each stop including Laniakea Beach.

Read the Top Questions on the right side of the page. Driving tours, maps, websites, North Shore, etc.

Order the free Hawaii & Oahu travel planners:

1-800-GOHAWAII

Lots of info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Shore Itinerary Questions

Epe, I like your plan. My suggestion is to not go to PCC via the windward side. It will take forever! Save that drive for another day.

Go via the center of the island, passing the Dole plantation. Go see the Turtles, morning is the best time.

I like having a shrimp lunch at Romy's at 11:30 then getting to PCC at 12:30 at the latest.

I hope you have planned this excursion early in your trip, because you will want to return to the North Shore!

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Shore Itinerary Questions

Thank you all for your input. I'm now thinking of driving up to the North Shore after Pearl Harbor. We have 9AM tickets to the USS Arizona Tour. So we can make our way up to the North Shore after that. So let's say we leave Pearl Harbor at 11am. Drive up stop by Dole Plantation and try some Dole Whip, then go to Turtle Beach to see the Turtles, then get some Shrimp at a Shrimp Truck.

How does that sound? This will allow us to split North Shore and PCC on different days. Since we're going to PCC on a different day, is there something worth seeing at the North Shore before PCC opens up at Noon? Why could we do the few hours before PCC opens?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,046 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: North Shore Itinerary Questions

If you go to PCC on a separate day, you can stop at Byodo-In Temple and Macadamia Nut Farm Outlet on the way.

Also some nice beaches along the coast.

Not sure what scorchestra means about it taking forever along the Windward Coast.

She may mean the entire Windward Coast.

The quickest way to PCC (and back) from Waikiki is to take Likelike Highway to Kaneohe & up the coast from there.

Take Kahekili Highway when you get to Kaneohe.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Shore Itinerary Questions

I agree with Dusty, if you are going to PCC on a separate day then take the Windward side drive stopping at the Temple, the Mac Nut Farm and enjoy the vistas.

There will be plenty to see on your drive before getting to PCC at noon. I would still grab lunch prior to getting to PCC. They do not have many lunch options at all besides grabbing a burger or sandwich at their food stand.

I love the Crouching Lion! www.yelp.com/biz/crouching-lion-inn-kaaawa

7. Re: North Shore Itinerary Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 12:17