We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oahu's North Coast OR Kauai's air tour? Advice appreciated!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
58 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Oahu's North Coast OR Kauai's air tour? Advice appreciated!

Hi fellow travelers and Hawaii experts!

I am coming to you for advice and hope to get answers soon, because I must book places ASAP.

I'm having trouble deciding between spending time on Oahu's North Coast OR on Kauai including hiking and an Air Tour...

Option 1

North Coast Only: 3-4 days

Get to North Coast on Saturday Night and spend the next 3-4 days there(shoreline, turtles, Dole Plantation) before meeting up with friends again on May 3.

Option 2

Kauai Only: 3-4 days

Get to Kauai by plane on Saturday Night or Sunday Morning and do the Plane tour of the island, plus hiking.... other than that don't know much to do in Kauai.

Option 3

Kauai AND North Coast: 2 days for each.

Get to Kauai on Sat Night or Sun Morning, do Plane tour and stay 1 night (or 2) , come back to Oahu, find accommodation on North Coast, explore, come back to Waikiki area after that.

Do we even have time to explore the East Coast of Oahu?

background: going there with my bf; we are excited about adventure and don't want to sit still, and want to experience the beauty and amazing activities of Hawaii.

Arrival Saturday 4/28, and free time until Thurs May 3.

Friend's wedding and activities Thurs May 3, 4, 5, 6 in Honolulu (staying near Waikiki/Aiea)

Depart Sunday 5/6 evening

PROS for Kauai:

flying over the gorgeous coastiline and mtns is something I've

always wanted to do.

CONS for Kauai

extra travel costs, less time to enjoy Oahu in full.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!

Hang Gliding Hawaii
Air Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Helicopter Tours
Paradise Air
Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Air Tours
Mauna Loa Helicopter Tours
Helicopter Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Private Tours, Air Tours
Oahu Air Tours
Helicopter Tours, Air Tours, Private Tours
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oahu's North Coast OR Kauai's air tour? Advice appreciated!

Kauai is a very different island .... so quiet, so relaxing and so beautiful all over.

I'd do Kauai... I love it there.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
494 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oahu's North Coast OR Kauai's air tour? Advice appreciated!

A helicopter tour of Kauai, to see the Napali Coast is a very nice tour. You'll see the Waimea Canyon and others too. But the Napali Coast from the air is special.

But if only spending 2 days at each place, it's really rushed. You'd have to pack/unpack and spend time travelling.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
58 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oahu's North Coast OR Kauai's air tour? Advice appreciated!

THANKS for the suggestion / vote for Kauai! If you have gone.. .how much time did you spend there and what were the highlights (on land) besides the Air Tour ? :)

Edited: 11 April 2012, 16:31
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oahu's North Coast OR Kauai's air tour? Advice appreciated!

OK, fist things first...It's called the North Shore, not the North Coast : )

Next, sounds like you only have 7 -8 days. Stick to one island with that amount of days. Yes, Kauai is beautiful, but so is Maui and the Big Island. You can't do it all, not in that amount of time.

Oahu is gorgeous and you will see spectacular vistas. Yes, you will have enough time to explore the East side of Oahu, known as the Windward side. Save an entire day for that. There are many activities to do on Oahu including Kayaking and numerous tours.

Where will you be staying in the North Shore? The only resort is the Turtle Bay Resort. I stay there every year and love it. They have horseback riding on the beach. Save yourself some travel time and money and stay on Oahu for the week. That is my advice.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
58 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oahu's North Coast OR Kauai's air tour? Advice appreciated!

terrific input, @scorchestra Thanks!

I have several people trying to convince me to stay on Oahu for the entirety of the trip but my gut is saying I still have to do Kauai's air tour because I've been fascinated about it since I was small.

I will definitely have to look into kayaking options on Oahu (if you know of any exceptional tour companies, plz let me know)

And I will check out Turtle Bay.

:-)

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oahu's North Coast OR Kauai's air tour? Advice appreciated!

<<I still have to do Kauai's air tour because I've been fascinated about it since I was small. >>

Well, then you have to do it! A day trip is very do-able or split your trip.

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oahu's North Coast OR Kauai's air tour? Advice appreciated!

Usually I also recommend staying on one island, but as mentioned...

"<<I still have to do Kauai's air tour because I've been fascinated about it since I was small. >>....

then you MUST!,

don't worry about North shore Oahu, it's day ( or two ) trip from waikiki, sounds like you're the type willing to get up early and head out to north shore for a full day up there, that's all you really need. If you love it, do it again the next day, it's not that far of a drive.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
58 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oahu's North Coast OR Kauai's air tour? Advice appreciated!

Fantastic! Thanks to Calgarytroy and Scorchetra!

I'm planning to do both! :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
58 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oahu's North Coast OR Kauai's air tour? Advice appreciated!

TRIP REPORT: Hi everyone, thanks for all your input. As an update and for those reading this post for ideas:

I did, in fact, go everywhere possible:

Day 1: Oahu (Honolulu -- friends)

Day 2: flight to Kauai, drove up coastline to do Hanakapi`ai Trail -- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED but start before 11. (we made the error of starting at 1:30 pm)

Day 3: Kauai Helicopter Tour (AWESOME), afterwards, drove to Wailua Falls lookout.

Day 4: back to Oahu, get rental car, North Shore: Shark's Cove near Waimea Bay and snorkeled !!

Day 5: Explore windward side

Day 6: Kayaking at Heeia State Park, visit to Byo-do in Temple (friend's pre-wedding party)

Day 7: wedding stuff

Day 8: tried a hike Manana Trail, wedding ceremony

Kauai Helicopter Tour: We went with Mauna Loa Tours and couldn't be happier with our decision to do doors off!! http://www.maunaloahelicoptertours.com/

contact me if you need any more info!

Cheers, and thanks to the TA community!

10. Re: Oahu's North Coast OR Kauai's air tour? Advice appreciated!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 09:42