We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stand Up Paddle Board Lesson

Level Contributor
325 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Stand Up Paddle Board Lesson

My husband & I (perhaps other family members too!) would like to take a SUP lesson while on Oahu in June. We'll be staying at the Aulani this visit for a wedding.

I had looked at a few places on the North Shore & was thinking of Rainbow Watersports in Haleiwa (lessons are on a river, not the ocean); have also read about other places in Kailua & Hawaiian Surf Adventures in Honolulu. Is the North Shore probably a better destination for us for this activity? Would morning be a better time than mid-day (sunset is out because of wedding activities).

Anyone have any experience with SUP?

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stand Up Paddle Board Lesson

Hmmm Kailua would be the best except for the wind, you don't want wind, waikiki has good conditions but gets crowded, not sure about a river. Morning would be best becasue of the light winds.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,764 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stand Up Paddle Board Lesson

Aloha,

SUP is easy to do and it is being done all over the Island.

Why not the North Shore, as it is a wonderful place.

Morning would be a good idea.

Have a great time,

Aloha

Brisbane
Level Contributor
102 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stand Up Paddle Board Lesson

Not sure about the north shore for SUP, but last year we did it at Waikiki, however not on the main beach, but more around near the Hilton. Here there were less people and not many waves.

There was a beach side stand and the guys gave us a few pointers and we were fine - we just hired the board a lesson wasn't necessary.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,764 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Stand Up Paddle Board Lesson

Aloha,

Another great place is Ala Moana Beach Park, as Amberloo posted a while back.

Protected and some nice flat waters.

Aloha

Pillager, Minnesota
Level Contributor
166 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stand Up Paddle Board Lesson

I can highly recommend Three Friends SUP adventure. I wrote a review on them when we got back from our trip in October. Vanya is the best and we had so much fun learning how to SUP with her. By the end of our lesson we felt like we had been friends with her for years and I didn't want it to end. Do a website search for Three Friends - she's also on facebook. Have fun!

6. Re: Stand Up Paddle Board Lesson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 March 2013, 21:05
7. Re: Stand Up Paddle Board Lesson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2014, 05:15