We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 weeks away from Turtle Bay Resort stay!

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
667 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
5 weeks away from Turtle Bay Resort stay!

We officially set a new record for snowiest winter in Anchorage but "spring" seems to be coming and all that snow is melting. May 2nd is the estimate for all the snow being melted in town.

We are just over a month from departure and are getting excited. I don't often make room requests but wondering if there is a preferred cottage. If I make a request, any suggestions what that request should be?

We basically plan on hanging around the resort, exploring the North Shore, and maybe spending a day at Kualoa Ranch. We want to snorkel a lot and take a catamaran ride. Mostly just relaxing and recovering from a difficult school year and a long cold snowy winter. Must of our vacations are action packed with lots of planning so this trip will be very different. We arrive on May 18th (early evening) and leave May 26th in the late morning. Trying to decide between half day or full day at Kualoa Ranch. We are interested in the jungle tour, catamaran, movie tour, and fish/ garden tour.

Breakfast is included in our package. We may just have some simple lunch stuff in the cottage (leaving room for shrimp trucks) and eating dinner in Haleiwa and trying the TB places or any other place we stumble across. Thankfully our 2 teenage daughters eat just about anything. One daughter loves good burgers and the other has expensive seafood tastes. We are all craving fresh fruit! My oldest daughter (14) will be getting her braces off 2 days before we leave and she can't wait to eat lots of pineapple! A trip to Dole is a must just to get some Dole Whips. We also will need some shaved ice too!

I'm hoping the winter waves will have turned into calm seas and there isn't a repeat of all that rain from last month. I'm just looking for the perfect vacation in paradise! Is that too much to ask?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,361 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 weeks away from Turtle Bay Resort stay!

By May the North Shore will be mostly calm.

Two of my favorite hikes (really strolls) are at Turtle Bay Resort.

Walk along the beach/lava & sometimes horse trails to the left to the point & a little beyond to see Kawela Bay.

Walk along the beach & trails to the right to Kahuku Point.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 weeks away from Turtle Bay Resort stay!

We stayed for a week at Turtle Bay and loved it.

My review on TA is here tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60651-d8715… .

I have to say we were spoiled as we got a surprise upgrade to the Presidential Suite. Then we were moved to a Queen Deluxe Cottage (cancelling our Waikiki plans because the North Shore is just so much better). We were in cottage 130 - the position of the building for this cottage can be a pro or a con. It was set back a bit further from the ocean than the other buildings but since people do walk in front of the cottages along the ocean, you have a bit more privacy - so depends on what is important to you. Also the angle at which our cottage faced (towards the resort) was not optimal for tradewinds. The parking for the cottages is so convenient - you will love that.

You are in luck with the fruit. There is a great fruit stand - Kahuku Farmers Fruit Stand just minutes west of the resort - you can purchase whole or cut fruit in bags, fresh coconut water, fried bananas. We stopped here nearly every day to stock our fridge with fruit. There is a Foodland pretty close by for grocery items. Be aware that the fridge in the cottages is quite small and don't put your fruit too close to the freezer end.

I just responded to a post on north shore restaurant recs: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k532447…

We didn't go there but Kua Aina Sandwich shop is supposed to have very good burgers. We went to Teddy's Bigger Burgers in Kailua and enjoyed the teri burger with pineapple very much.

We did two Kualoa Ranch tours the movie tour and the jeep/jungle tour. We enjoyed the jeep tour more as you get out of the jeep more and do a short hike to a spectacular view. The movie tour is okay - you see sites from Lost (just Hurley's golf course and the bunker), Jurassic park, 50 First Dates, Godzilla. There is also a stop at the bunker which has a few movie memorabilia. There are so many beautiful places around the North Shore that I think a half day would be enough. Also there are several beautiful trails at Turtle Bay. We really enjoyed the horseback ride along the beach too.

Happy to answer more questions if you have them.

Edited: 15 April 2012, 00:06
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,924 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 weeks away from Turtle Bay Resort stay!

If you happen to make it to a grocery store, look for Maui Gold pineapple. Head over heals better than Dole ever thought of being!! Don't be fooled by pineapple labeled Gold, make sure it say's Maui Gold. Have fun, it was gorgeous up there today. Large waves but the day was bathed in sunshine and good trades.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
667 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 weeks away from Turtle Bay Resort stay!

thanks for the great tips! We will look for Maui Gold for sure! I'm looking forward to morning strolls with my husband exploring the trails of TB.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 weeks away from Turtle Bay Resort stay!

The fruit stand has Maui Gold there too! :)

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 weeks away from Turtle Bay Resort stay!

Have a great time at Turtle Bay Resort and beautiful Oahu! Have dinner at Lei Leis, it's our favorite and in my opinion the best dining at TBR.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
667 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 weeks away from Turtle Bay Resort stay!

So I can't help myself, I always need to plan a bit! Nothing is set in stone.

Friday- should arrive to TBR about 8:15 pm

Saturday- hang out at resort (just found out they do rent bikes onsite)

Sunday- hang out at resort

Monday- North Shore exploring (beach hop, maybe rent bikes to ride the bike path, shop, snack, whatever), Shark's Cove

Tuesday- Possible snorkel trip with N. Shore Catamaran or another day of local snorkeling/beach hopping any other ideas?

Wednesday- Kualoa Ranch ( jungle, secret island, fishing/garden tours)?

Thursday- hang out at resort

Friday- Waimea Valley- do a guided hike?

Saturday- depart early for 1:15 flight (stop at Dole for a Dole Whip)- or leave really early and attempt to find and drive Tantalus Drive (not sure if this is even possible time wise or if it is too out of the way from N. Shore to airport)

What do you think?

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 weeks away from Turtle Bay Resort stay!

You mentioned that one of your daughters loves good burgers - you must go to Ku'Aina Burgers in Haleiwa. They are the best! My husband and I have the avocado burger and my son always orders the pineapple burger. The fries are also excellent.

Do you really only want to stay in the North Sore for the entire week? Everyone knows that I am a huge Turtle Bay Resort and North Shore fan. But I can't imagine going to Oahu and not seeing the rest of the island and I've been there many times. The windward side is so spectacular! Consider a day excursion with stops along the way from the North to the windward side. Stop at the Crouching Lion for lunch! It’s wonderful! I love their coconut shrimp. Laie Point is a must for a spectacular view.

How about PCC, The Polynesian Cultural Center? Won’t you be going there? It’s loads of fun and you’ll be so close to drive back to the resort in the evening.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
667 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 weeks away from Turtle Bay Resort stay!

We spent a week on Oahu last year and visited PCC and Pearl Harbor as well as spending a lot of time driving around the island. We may end up driving the windward side as well. Honestly, we really just want to relax, a lot. My husband got a large promotion this year and has been working long hours. He is leaving tonight for a 2 week class at MIT which is crazy for him and leaves me at home with the girls and a demanding full time job. My dad is having major surgery on May 9th so I'll be heading to Chicago from the 5th-12th and coming back to the last week of school- super busy.

The major reason I picked Turtle Bay vs another island was I wanted to be able to relax and enjoy the resort and not doing a whole lot else! This is a new travel concept for us and if we get bored we will head out and check out the rest of the

island. Even the girls are looking forward to doing a whole lot of nothing but enjoying the beach, sun, surf, and food!

Thanks for the burger tip too!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 weeks away from Turtle Bay Resort stay!

Admittledly we are Lost fans and headed west primarily with the intention of seeing some filming sites but Mokuleia beach on the North Shore is also very beautiful.

I enjoyed Waimea Valley - unless you have a keen interest in botanics I don't think you need a guided hike - There is a good map and plenty of signs.

Another highlight of TBR is the spotlight they shine on the waves at night - so beautiful!

Maybe take a picnic to Kawela Bay - one of my favourite spots near TBR. Though when you walk west on the trails towards Kawel Bay, it's the same trail the horses use so watch where you step!

The resort has a day's events newsletter each day. Since you will be spending a lot of time at the resort - make sure you take a look at what's going on. I seem to recall Thursday as a day which had a higher number of free activities than others (e.g. ukulele lessons). I believe they have a fire dancer one night as well. The Surfer Bar had some pretty cool events each evening too.

It will likely be a good deal warmer than when we visited in March but the wind was pretty brisk and a light cardigan was needed in the evenings.

Even Kulima Cove is a bit rocky - water shoes would be a good idea.